rear deck latch install

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
has anyone installed latches on the rear deack lids including the live wells.

the rear lids on my 882 are very tight to open and it will only be a matter of time before the cheesey straps rip off.

i am looking at the tiki isle 2" slam latch from bass pro.

any thoughts or recomendations on this ??

thanks

GregD

Greg,

I'm having the same problem with all my rear lids and was thinking of the same thing. I got the impression that the latches you mentioned might be for thicker applications than the aluminum lids on bass boats. If you take on the project let us know how it came out....and what latches you used.

I installed latches on all my compartments. I had to get deeper recessed ones for some than others, but ya, it works and gives you piece of mind too. Plus it puts less wear and tear on the hinges of each compartment, keeps them from bouncing up and down while trailering when they are in the locked position. One thing to keep in mind is that the keyhole will corode a bit I noticed. And you usually find this out while the compartment is in the locked position. So I sprayed some Corosion X in the keyhole of every compartment, and this was solved.

Musky,

What latches did you use and where did you get them? Do they fill up with water, and, does water leak into the dry compartments?

The latches we used were basic ones you would get at Home depot or check west marine, I think they have the good ones, or was it cabelas ? Anyways, when and if you install the latches, put extra large washers between the over-all diameter of the latch between the latch and the lid. This will give it some space to keep it above everything and not collect water as bad.

i looked at the latches at west marine and cabelas.

none state how thick the lid should be.

i will post if i do this in the spring. there is three feet of new snow on and around the boat right now.

GregD

Greg, it is nice and sunny out here and I was fishing this past saturday drop shotting in 60 feet of water while fishing with my shirt off. It is tough weather out here in California. Jeez, it got down to the 50's during the night ! LOL !

50's whats that ??

expecting another 6/10" today.

man i love new england !!

GregD

Back