Rain Suit Suggestions??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XMYTRUCK XMYTRUCK

Reaction score
Hello Guys

I am looking to purchase a real rain suit and was wondering what you guys recommend? I did check out the new 100 mph suit at BPS that does look sweet and I was thinking about going to cabelas to look at Guidewear and maybe some Helly Hansen. Any experience with any of these brands?

THx

x

Well, I'm a little biased but I had the guys in Michigan in stitches because I wouldn't take my BPS 100mph suit off. I used to kid them and call it their "jammies" till I got one. W-O-W!! Great suit. Other than the fact that there is no zippered fly (believe me, I'd rater be watertight, I can pull the bibs down:p), I have not been in one better. Guidewear gets a lot of accolades, KB has that set, it seems to me to be a bit more canvass like and bulky, more for real cold weather. Not that the BPS suit can't handle the weather with a couple of layers!! I personally would like to have the outer shell on the lighter side, I can fleece up underneath. If you don't go out in the real nasty cold, the BPS Pro Qualifier is the way to go. I tried Mac's and it was great but I do not have the build for regular pants:p. I have to have the bibs...period!! Never seen the Helly Hansen.

If you want real cheap, there is a place on the net called The Sportsman's Guide, I posted a while back, Frogg Toggs at a cheap price. I got an email from them today and they have some Winchester and NASCAR rainsuits on a real cheap sale that look to be decent.

TOXIC

I have to agree with Mark, the HPR is a sweet setup and it isn't too bad in a warm rain either. I used them in Maine from Apr 1 to Nov 30th with LLBean boots (shameless plug lol) and was nice and toasty (LLBean flannel underneath). I got a hook stuck in them and it came out with little damage to the fabric and still no leakage. And it has a zipper for those nature moments.

Eric

I like the Frogg Toggs, but I'm down here in Georgia and usually don't need to worry about keeping warm:cool:

JP

I bought a brand called "Gill" in 1997 that is still in use today - no rips, no tears, and it's as waterproof as the day I bought it. I had got tired of getting wet or cold with cheap suits, and none of the ones available back then in local stores came in pieces - only sets. I walked into a Boating store - by "Boating", in this area, I'm refering to offshore saltwater / sailboat type boating. I asked for a "real" rainsuit, and the guy said the people who sail in this area loved the Gill brand because they get soaked a lot, and it was one of the best for them. I bought Bibs and a seperate jacket - got to custom fit both sizes to fit me perfect. I just used it a few weeks ago - just like the day I bought it. Think I paid about $350 for everything, but considering it has lasted 11 seasons and shows no signs of failing anytime soon... I'd say I got my moneys worth out of it.

All the best,

Glenn

Helly Hanson is pretty high end stuff well known to mountaineers and skiers. Probably would work for fishing. Have to admit, I have a ton of ski wear that's snow/water proof uninsulated material (allows for fleece layering underneath) so that's what I use in the heavy stuff (think NorthFace before they went mainstream, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, EMS, etc.). Otherwise, I have a few rain suits that do fine. Whatever you get, you usually can't go wrong with Gore-tex, especially XCR Gore-tex.

I live in the Annapolis, MD area, which is called "The Sailing Capital of the World" and all you ever hear from the BlowBoaters and even most Power Boaters is Helly Hanson. I had/and still have a Helly Hanson suit that's a wee small for me.:) It's very well made, fairly light, has a lot of thought put into by the maker as far as pocket placement, zipper placement, etc.. I would not hesitate to use mine again if Nancy would let me borrow it back, and if it came near to fitting at all, and that suit is pushing 25 years old.

Otherwise I would buy exactly what Toxic suggested. I went to look for a suit about three years ago and was going to buy the 100 mph suit but they didn't have my size in a jacket and I wanted instant gratification. So I bought the Pro Qualifier Jacket and Pant set and that was still a whole bunch of money!:eek: I'm very happy with even though I've only fished in it twice but both times were in December and I was warm as toast. Frogg Toggs seem to be a really good deal but I have had more than a couple of owners and have also seen remarks on different web pages that they don't last very long.

Jim C.- If Helly Hanson is high end stuff, what would you call the Pro Qualifier and 100 mph suits? I haven't looked in a long time, IS Helly Hanson more expensive?

Uncle Billy

Hello Guys,

Wow love the responses, it's late and my eyes are crossing so I will keep it short. Uncle Billy Helly Hanson does have some cheaper shuff that is priced around and below the 100 mph the BSP hpc and proQ suits but their top of the line is to drool over and it cost about grand check it out

http://www.hellynewengland.com/product_info.php?products_id=1062&osCsid=4aff466ea149034a10167e9fad98cfc0

I was more leaning towards hellys Fjord model, I do have an old northface jacket now and it works great keeps me dry but north face does not sell any bid style paints I could just the bid and safe some $$/

I've used the Cabella's guidewear for about 5 years. Great product, well designed and keeps me dry and warm.

Biggest item suggestion is to make sure that you try on the different suits if at all possible. Different 'cuts' fit people differently. Also, make sure that you have the comfort/ability to perform your business without too much problem. In short, it needs to have a very good zipper down the front of the bibs.

Tex

Uncle Billy - can't speak to the 100MPH or Pro Qualifier suits. No experience there. All I can speak to is my personal experience with waterproof ski gear and HH is one of the top brands. Of course, HH has lower end stuff. Most manufacturers now do. Great example is North Face that used to cater exclusively to professional skiers (think Ski Instructors, Patrollers, racers, extreme skiers, etc.) with high end gear only. But they found that marketing lower end stuff to the masses was a great way to make big money, especially with the reputation of the North Face brand. Unfortunately (IMHO), they went too far that direction and ended up diluting their higher end line to the point where they don't make a lot of the versatile lines they used to. Still good gear, but there's a reason that it hasn't been the "official" wear of the National Ski Patrol or the Professional Ski Instructors of America for some time.

Xmytruck - North Face still sells a bib-style pant called the Foundation bib-pant. Its marketed to the ski crowd. Sounds like you have a plan for choices, so I won't say any more than that.

Good luck with the purchase!

Gortex from Gander Mountain....

Got pants and jacket on sale...it's lighter-weight stuff...NOT winter-wear...believe it was around $140 for both...

Different colors, but it doesn't bother me....when you can fish all day in the rain and stay BONE DRY, it's worth every penny!

az

Swimsuit and towel is all you need. if you want to bundle up-go hunting! :D:lol::D

X,

I got some new rain gear this year that im very happy with s far. Its made by Columbia and its thier new long run series that came out this year. I have been wearing columbia omni tech rain gear for the last 10 years and i have had very good service from it to date. i needed a new pair of pants after i tore mine on a loose nail at a dock so i went shopping and decided to get a new jacket too that matched. I got the long run bib and parka for ~250 for the set form Bass Pro in Foxboro. I have used them 3 times so far this year and they are 100% dry as a bone.

Regardless of what you end up getting think about getting them a size bigger then you would normally wear. When its cold and raw and you need ot layer some clothes under it the extra room will let you do it.

Back