questions about a used boat

• Thread starter Mike Harrison [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Harrison

Reaction score
I have found a 1990 Champion boat for sale and I figure I'd ask the experts but since none are around, I guess you guys will do. Here's the listing for it:

1990 Champion bass boat, 18.5 Ft. 150 HP Mariner Magnum motor, 50# 12/24 Trolling motor, Trailer, 2 Flashers, 2 Humminbird Fish Finders, 4 blade SS prop, Jack plate, Boat cover, Hydraulic Steering, 2 bank Battery charger.

The guy is asking $6,800 but he emailed me and said the wifey said get rid of it so he's very negotiable. He also lives like 30 minutes from me so that's even better.

I've always liked Champion boats and that's the perfect size for and hopefull my lil' S10 with a V6 and manual transmission could keep up with it. I've hauled an '83 17ft Champion before and that thing was a heavy SOB. This past year I hauled an 18' Skeeter and it hauled just fine, but I'm worried about the ramp, especially if wet.

Anyway, what I'd like to know from you guys if you know of anything good or bad about that year of Champion boats or that motor I'd greatly appreciate it.

If I can get it, anyone interested in an OLD tracker completely redecked/plumbed/wired?? haha

Thanks a lot guys,

Mike
champ1.jpg

I sold a 95 Nitro 18' boat for $8000 several years ago, w/ a 150 on it and better graphs - seems high priced to me, but I am not an expert - consult the NOAA used boat price guides - i believe u can find them online...

david

Get it out and run it.......Make sure everything works, check the hull and transome and get the motor compression tested.

TOXIC

Check the transome very close. Look for any water leakage/danage. Water rot is slow to show and costly to repair.

This boat looks like it's been taken care of but always check everything and take nobody's word for anything. Remember you're the man with the money.

If those hulls have some wood then check for any weak spots in the deck or transom.

Take it to a lake. Start it at the ramp and watch it idle cold and then pay attention how it warms up. Take it out and run it mid rpm and then run it full rpm. Hold it at full rpm and watch for rpm loss. Check the steering pull.

Check to see if it overheats.

Check the compression while the engine is warm. The compression should be approx 120 psi. and the six cylinders should not vary more than 10% from each other.

Check all the electrical goodies on the boat.

Check the trailer lights and tire dry rot and baldness. If the trailer has brakes how are they.

Will the boat fit where you're keeping it.

Remember the price of the boat is what you give to seller and then what you have to pay to have fixed or replaced. Find the faults before you buy it.

These are just a few things to look at when considering 14 year old boats.

Da Bear

One other item to check is the total package weight. As you mentioned, there are some surprises in total weight and that manual transmision you referenced can be a challenge on the ramp. I used to own a 22 foot Catalina sail boat and tried using my manaul transmission pickup to load it on several occasions. Didn't take long before I traded the pickup in on a S-10 Blazer with an automatic transmission, and that worked much better.

When it comes to the manual transmission, I don't think that part of it will be the problem. I have GREAT confidence in my ability to drive it. My question is can the truck package effectively pull it up a ramp. The V6 is a great motor, I might just be worried.

Mike

Mike,

If you're really worried about your S10 pulling the Champ out of the lake, do some testing before you've committed to the Champion. Hitch up a buddy's boat with similar package weight or load up your boat to simulate the weight you'd be pulling out of the lake, and do a test run. Take a good look at the S10's tires, and if they need replacing, put some real biters on. Depending on your amount of concern, you might want that buddy to bring along his truck. Sorry, but I'm no help on the boat itself...

--Casey

Stan, is your s10 a 4.3l v6? if it is dont worry about it. the 4.3 pulls like a small v8. is your s10 2wd or 4wd? i toweed a 16' champ for years with a 4.3l s10 4x4 with a manual tranny and a guy in my club had the same truck and he pulled a champ 186 with his from 96 until last year, never had a problem puling it.

Mine is just the 2wd S10, but yes it has the 4.3l V6. As in hauling the boat around, I could do it all over the world if need be. I've pulled my dad's 1991 Stratos 201Pro to the lake him in the past (I just didn't care for the breaking). I'm not that worried, I've always been the kind of guy who likes to have way too much power (tim allen) so I don't have to worry than have enough power and think "what about in this condition?" I'm just a nut who is thinking of getting his first glass boat and I just want to make sure everything is in check. Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions and concerns. Happy Winter!!

Mike

Back