Question on thermoclines ??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
First do thermoclines exsist in rivers , and do all lakes 25ft. and deeper have them?

thanks for any response's ahead of time.

If my memory serves correct( and iffy thing) The only moving currents that support a thermocline are ocean currents. That is a rapid transition of water temps. The water on the bottom of a river can be cooler than the surface but oxygen levels are for the most part uniform.

Can't anwser the other. But My personal experience as a diver have led me to believe that where a river enters a lake, no thermocline. The rest depends on how deep and how hot the surface is. I've found the thermocline at TAble Rock lake in Missouri an average of 60 feet in the summer when they're not drawing the water through the dam. I used to sit on a rock at that dept and watch the bass swim around. While retrieving an errant outboard motor with my scuba rig on a local lake with an average depth of 20 feet about mid summer it was between 14 and 17 foot.

On deep spring fed lake in the summer it was about 20 to 25 foot.

Give you an idea.

fatrap

Not that I have any specific knowledge, but I tend to agree with Fatrap.

Now, if you had a river with a deep pocket or possibly an oxbow (with minimal flow), you may well have a thermocline there.

His explanation on ocean, seems logical.

Tex

I'm definately not in the know but couldn't all bodies of water have a thermocline, if its deep enough.

I have noticed thermoclines on many lakes here in Texas, Or at least what i'd call a thermocline.

Mistakenly, I, and many others have called the "layers" on a river or lake - "thermoclines". In all actuality, I've been told they should be refered to as "ISOthermal layers" - i.e. - the difference in temperature between "layers" - top layer being what the sun is heating, to the depth were the sun is no longer making a difference in the temperature of the water. That "line" is what I've seen constantly on my depthfinders, and for years, have seen fish hanging right above that level. I always called it the "thermocline" - but I was wrong. I think I know what you probably mean - same thing that I am talking about... but it's a different name.

All the best,

Glenn

The middle layer in a thermally stratified lake or reservoir. In this layer there is a rapid decrease in temperature with depth. Also called the METALIMNION.

www.nsc.org/ehc/glossar2.htm

I've had my fins in cold water and head in warm water it can be that dramatic of change.

fatrap

I have found out that not all bodies of water have thermoclines . Most are found on large reservoirs, such as Table Rock . The thermocline is the thin layer between the upper warm layer and the cooler lower layer. it is rich in nutrients and brings about algae bloom then the zooplankton and finally the baitfish . all part of the food chain.

Thank you all for some very interesting information and cmments.

I remember swimming in the summer in a small 7 acre pond that was spring feed . You could always tell where the spring was when you swam through it . Even on the hottest days it was a shocker .

happy times :)

Back