Question on scuff marks on gelcoat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Bell2

Reaction score
Question:

My NX750 is mostly white, I have noticed a few scuff marks on the gunnel, prob. from my rods or shoes. They are not scratches, only very light scuff marks, that can only be seen at an angle.

Can anyone recomend a product to HAND buff them out ( i do not have an orbital ).

thanks brian

Here's my pair of pennies. First, the $30 or so I spent on a power buffer, NOT an orbital buffer -- those are worthless, from Harbor Freight Tools, was money well spent.

I'd first try buffing with a wax by hand. If not, go to a polishing compound. If that doesn't work, go with Bob's suggestion. A rubbing compound is stronger than a polishing compound. Always use the absolute least you can.

Non-flake gelcoat (metal flake, poly flake, whatever) doesn't have a clear coat on it. Only the flakes do. This is not necessarily a bad thing. You can buff out any scratch that doesn't go through the color. With the polyflakes, you can only buff out scratches that aren't through the clear coat because once you start buffing the flakes, they turn silver. From there, they probably discolor with use too.

Meguires Scratch-X is probably the product I'd recommend for you. It's not cheap, but Meguires is some good stuff. I'm sure 3m makes a good liquid polishing compound as well.

Follow up whatever you use with a good quality wax.

Thanks, guess I have my project for this weekend if this rain keeps up

Back