Question on ethanol fuel line - Mini? Others?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
I was reading about the fuel line issue on a few of these posts, so I walked into the garage and looked at mine. Sure enough - I've got the gray line with red writing on it from my bulb to the engine. I squeezed it. Yeah... feels a bit "sticky" when you squeeze it and the middle collapses. So... definitely going to replace it.

Noticed in the BPS catalog that they sell the new gray line / blue writing with a new designed bulb, made to be Ethanol resistant, so I'm probably just going to replace that whole assembly.

Here is my question though - from the fuel tank up to the bulb, I have thick black fuel hose. It looks fine, and it is not like the gray line. Should I look at replacing this too, or is it just the gray line giving people problems?

All the best,

Glenn

I just drained the gas in my big boat do I need a new line and bulb also? now I gotta drain in the tracker now Id order one for it also.

Didnt mean to hijack the post Glenn but I have been reading this stuff today and was wndering the same thing

Glenn, when in doubt, throw it out! Easy to replace and have a clean fuel system. Also look up Don Weed on BBC, he has the line in stock as well.

BBC,..."You can keep your WEED in there!!"...bbwwaaahhhhhaaaaaa.......(old inside joke from the first MVM....thanks Neeley...we STILL laugh about that!!):lol:

I have heard it both ways about the in boat fuel lines. My mechanic says he hasnt seen any problem with all black fuel lines. Others claim that they have.

Definately get the MERCURY branded hose AND bulb. With BLACK OR BLUE lettering.

If you are in doubt about your fuel lines call your boat manufacturer.

Make sure you change your fuel filter(s) too.

I've replaced all my fuel supply lines with black automotive double insulated fuel lines. (It's the type when you cut a cross section you see rubber, then braided sleeve, then more rubber, before the I.D. orifice.) It's inexpensive by the foot at just about any auto supply and built for the ethanol demand and deconstruction it brings on the old fuel lines. That type or fuel injector line is all I will use any more. The only down side I'm aware of is after many years of sun exposure the black can rub off on you when being handled.

I've talked with Don Weed at European on this subject. Hose color/letter color isn't really relevant. Any fuel line manufactured before Jan. 2009 or does not have the EPA approved/compliant printed on it. Lots of horror stories on BBC.

The fuel line on my 2010 Boat does have the EPA rating. For what it's worth my hose is black with blue writing. I know a guy with 2000 boat and his line was bad. His was black with red writing.

Don't take a chance. You don't want to end up like this...

IMG_9748.jpg

Look at this months Bassmaster magazine. BIG article right smack in the middle "Death by ethanol" What does it tell you when every fishing forum, magazine etc is ranting and raving about this stuff along with all the 4 wheeler forums, any small engine repair place, regular auto techs??????

And yet our politicians and the ever wise EPA keep on plowing full speed headlong into higher and higher levels of this crap.

Latest posts

Back