Question for TOX and other guides on the site??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Jones

Reaction score
I sold my boat last year due to health problems, but I still love fishing. I've never hired a guide before and I was wondering how hiring a guide would be and I have a few questions...

1. Best way to find a guide on a particular lake.

2. How do you go about asking them specifics like, if they fish out of the front of the boat or do they let you run the trolling motor?

3. Do most allow 2 fishermen to go ( I'd like to take my Dad with me) and does this cost more?

4. Any other things I need to ask about or know about? What questions will insult them ( even if I don't mean to)?

Any help from you guides, or from anyone that has hired a guide and had problems, please let me hear your comments too.

Thanks!!

Tom

I would say first and foremost.... find your guide from "word of mouth"... Get references from the guide... say ask for names from him if you need to... Another good sources of finding the right guide is from a resort/hotel/motel manager...

do a search, there have been many questions like this in the past.

one thing i always do, is to discuss your expectations and exactly what you expect to happen. usually the price is for one or two people. after that most stuff is negotably. though i dought you will run the trolling motor (unless the guide falls out of the boat). i usually put the least experienced person on the front deack with the guide for more and detailed instruction on techniques. let him know if you are bringing your own gear or will use his. and if there is and additional charge for lost tackle.

i will stop know and let others add.

mike c

Tom,

Bill wrote a good article in his Lake Anna publications last issue (Lake Anna Connections) on hiring a guide. I gave him my input and it was an excellent article. He can re-produce it here I think. He also is considering an article from my side of the boat on how to be a good client!! You need both sides of the story. It sounds like you are asking the right questions.

1. Best way to find a guide on a particular lake.

By all means word of mouth is the best but keep in mind even the best guides have bad days and disgruntled customers. Most marinas can refer you to the better guides.

2. How do you go about asking them specifics like, if they fish out of the front of the boat or do they let you run the trolling motor?

Just open your mouth and ask. You are the paying customer, for the most part you make the rules. Personally, you can have the front of the boat with me and I usually fish. Some clients do not want you to fish, but my problem with that is that if they don't stick a fish all day long, they'll say the fish weren't there. I fish to show them that they are. Now, if I'm the only one sticking fish, I will put my rod down and work one-on-one with the client(s) to get them fish. As far as working the trolling motor, I have asked "experienced clients" to run the TM (usually current or windy) while I assist unhooking a fish or re-tying. If you want to run the TM as a rule, then show up with a copy of your insurance policy that shows you can afford to fix anything you break and that includes hitting rocks and hull damage. Honestly, if my client is a fisherman, I'll give them the front of the boat. You will never be allowed to run the big motor.

3. Do most allow 2 fishermen to go ( I'd like to take my Dad with me) and does this cost more?

My rates are for 2. Most guides are that way. I will take 3 (additional $$). Most Bass boats are rated for 4 total occupants/passengers. With 3 (your senerio) somebody is gonna be on the back and somebody is on the front with me. With 4 (3 clients) somebody usually gets stuck in the seat well and that is not fun. I will rotate that position. Also with 3 there are hooks and lures flying everywhere which is a safety thing. I can show you the scars!!:lol:

4. Any other things I need to ask about or know about? What questions will insult them ( even if I don't mean to)?

No question is insulting depending on how you ask it. Let's face it, we wouldn't be in the guiding business long if we got mad at our clients. What you should know.....No matter what the forecast, bring rain gear. Bring your lunch (offer lunch to the guide) and drinks (no alcohol unless pre approved), clarify if you want to use your gear or the guides gear, make clear what you want to catch and if you plan on keeping what you catch. Some guides only practice catch and release except for crappie, striper, bluegill, catfish, (can't speak to those toothy northern fish, walleye, pike, muskie, etc....very few in my water). Make sure you identify if you want to use live bait. Bring sunscreen and verify how long the day will be. Tell you guide if you want to learn the water or fish a specific type of lure (Senko, Dropshot, Jig, finesse bait, etc.). I had 2 tournament fishermen trash me on the internet after a trip because they said they wanted to learn off shore structure and I fished shallow.... because that's where the fish were. I put them on over 30 fish and they were still not happy....all because they never told me what they wanted to do or learn.

Most of all relax and have a good time!!:lol::p

TOXIC

Be very clear with the guide on whether you want big fish, or tons of action.

Steve

My friend guides in Northern Alabama and this is his web site. He explains about all you would want to know on his trip. http://www.anglingalabama.com/

Later <>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

Tom - I wrote an article in our publication (Lake Anna Connections) in my "Granpa's Fishin' Line" on hiring a Guide. I have reproduced it here. Take it for what it is worth.

Grandpa

Tom

A good guide is well worth the money and I have used them several times on unfamiliar waters, but if you are boatless and looking to get out on a more regular basis at a reasonible cost joining a bass club might be a better way to go. The cost would be limited to splitting gas for the day and a small entry fee. Generally you'll get to fish out of decent boats and if you find a club that stays local, most members are familiar enough with there home waters that you will catch some fish. Also, it is a good way to build relationships with guys and get an opportunity to fish out of the regular club events.

Here is a link that may help:

Steve
http://www.bassfederation.com/main.asp?page=26

Back