question for the experts

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Gerry

Reaction score
The first year I had my boat I stored it outside with a cover on it. The boat is 929 and came with a fitted cover. I guess the constant effect of the wind blowing the cover created fine scratches all the way around the boat. The scratches are on the top of the gunwall. They are slight but numerous. You have to stop and look to see them and they do not dull the shine. I have tried rubbing compound, just under a million different promising waxes, oh and of course the scratch removers in a can. Nothing seems to make a dent. Any suggestions? And to cut this idea back, I also took it to a fibeglass dude who promised to make them go away. He lied. Maybe it is not even worth worrying about, but I am sorta **** (you know the word) and I want my boat to look like new forever (ignoring all the real scratches I put in it with the tree bumping and dock slammin).

You need a high speed buffer and rubbing compound.then wax it with fiberglass wax.Once all of that is done use a spray wax once a week and it will look like brand new

You know you are probably dot on, I have not tried a high speed buffer. Tango for the info.

BE CAREFUL!!! A rotary buffer is very dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced user. There is an art to these machines and the combinations of pads and compounds. Make the wrong choice or hold just a second too long and goodbye gelcoat!! I would say that your fiberglass man didn't have the combo right and used too light of a rubbing compound. A good wax will make them disappear for a while but they come back. When the right rubbing compound/polish/wax is used you can get rid of them for good.

TOXIC

Toxic is right. An amature can "burn" the paint on a car and I'm not sure what on a fiberglass boat. I bought an enexpensive random orbital buffer at Wal-Mart for around 25 bucks. It's not as agressive as a rotary buffer or you might talk to some detail shops in your area. I'm sure they have some buffer jocks that can fix you up.

Harpo

Porter Cable make a good random orbital. You can't do any damage with a random but you will also be limited as to how agressive you can get with the scratches.

TOXIC

Back