Question for TEE and or Cleaning /polishing tin hull

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Tee or Others,

What did you use to clean your hull before applying the Sharskin? I have a slight water mark on my hull and the entire hull is a little dull compared to when I first bought the boat this past spring.

I waxed the painted portion yesterday and it really came out nice, but you have to be careful cause my cloth turned a slight green, which leads me to beleive if you rubbed hard enough you could take the paint right off.

Thanks in advance

CJL

Polish is the only way BEFORE you apply the Sharkhide:) BPS metal polish is cheaper and works well. You have to remember...whatever it looks like now...will be the way it looks after you apply. It does even magnify scartches a little. So a little work now will make sure your hide is protected for years to come. My winter project is to finish the bottom...since I have enough left.

BTW...I wouldn't use polish on the decals...some polishes have petroleum distillates in them and CAN remove some paint.

Also as a sidenote....I had a vey bad scum line from Dale Hollow last week and just washed my boat yesturday...it wipes off better than glass:)

Tee, that's great, and exactly what I am looking for. Usually I wipe my boat down quickly after I put it back on the trailer at the launch, but the water mark got there anyway.

Thanks for the heads up on the decals. I only waxed the top side of the gunnel, not the painted side with all the decals because I would imagine it would get all caked up on the edge of the decals.

I think I will do the polishing in around March, when we start to thaw out, or if we have a mild winter I could do it sooner.

Anykind of metal polish will work. 3M makes a good paste but, doesn't go as far. The BPS Metal polish is just that and runs about $4.99 a bottle I think. I wouldn't aplly it until you get it polished....If you have a garage it will make a good winter project and then wait til' spring before you take it out and aplly the Sharkhide. I just want you to get the same results I did, which I'm happy:)

My Pro 17 is in pretty rough shape and I've been ashamed of it so this winter it's getting the bottom cleaned up and new carpet. I have been following some threads on the aluminum boat repair board about cleaning and polishing aluminum. Yours probably isn't as bad as mine but it seems I'm gonna have to sand mine with red scotchbrite pads, then green, and maybe then something finer before polish. Here is a link to the board-http://www.pagebiz.com/bds/aluminum/repair.html

Uh OH! Did we lose another? Danglassguys:)

Seriously...it's not as bad as it seems...just don't try to tackle it all at once,like I did.

Once it's polished...you'll never have to do it again even to reapply Sharkhide.

Back