Question about small boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lamar Gilbert

Reaction score
I have a 11' deep v small boat that we use in the small lakes up here in Maine that has HP restrictions. It is a bit too tipsy for comfort. I am going to a 12' boat and want info about if a Jon boat is more stable than a V. I have to restrict the size since most of the small lakes don't have launch facilities and have to drag the boat into some of them.

Thanks

For the most part, jon boats (especially flat-bottom ones) are somewhat more stable than a v-hull. How wide is your 12 ft'er? The width of the boat (across the widest part of the bottom) and the type of water you'll be fishing does play an important part.

I fished out of a 12 a long time ago and it will move around on you, bigger is better.

I started out in a 12 ft starcraft from the sixties. It had no flotation and was very unstable so I finally upgraded to my 175PT when all four of us started to fish more. There were a few times it was riding very low in the water for my comfort. We also had a 16 foot john boat that was much more stable. I would opt for the john boat, but also try to find one with a deeper draft for a little more of a safety factor for waves, wakes, or extra weight in the boat.

On flat water a Jon boat is better, when the wind kicks up a v will plow through the waves better? A 12 foot boat is still a 12 foot boat.

BF

My first boat was a 12' jon boat with a trolling motor and I had the best times of my life on the bayous of south La. I found that the jon boat was stable and kept me save. I installed wheels at the back so I could eaily pull it anywhere I want from the back of my truck. All you need are two right angle brackets with two small push lawnmower wheels.

Barry from La.:)

I have both, a 10 ft jon boat and a 12 ft semi-v.

I find I have to be a bit more careful in the jon than I do in the semi-v. My

choice if I could only keep 1 of them would be the semi-v.

Latest posts

Back