Question -150 Merc xr6- 2003

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Musto2

Reaction score
Hey Guys...

I just trailered my boatr back from PA to NY, where I stored it in my garage there...

I took the cover of the motor as I was getting ready to start it and found oil all over the bottom pan .. It looks like it ran out of the air box while I was trailering which means it probably came out the carbs when I had the motor tilted up with the transom saver attached??

Now my questions are:

0) Was it foggin oil or 2-cycle oil..(This is the first time I have taken a boat out of winterization and I really couldnt tell) If I had to guess I'm thinking it was 2-cycle oil

1) How did it get into the carbs..

2) Is this a problem??

It started on the second try and seems to be in working fine.. except for the huge cloud of smoke from the "fogging oil" that I burned out of it.. But I guess that can be expected..

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated

Luke

To answer your questions

It was most likley both kinds of oil. Fogging oil is sprayed into the carbs and when the motor is shot off some will run out. Since the 2 cycle oil is mixed in before the gas gets to the carbs sometimes the gas/oil mix will leak out of the carb when you tilt the motor all the way up. When the gas evaporates it leaves behind the oil. What you are seeing is pretty normal, If you have just a film of oil there you have nothing to worry about. If its a lot of opil, like its pooling you may have a leak but from the sounds if your A-ok.

Back