Putting New Boat on the Water the 1st Time

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Lundin

Reaction score
I will get my new Fish/Ski Boat in early April. This will be my first new full size fiberglass boat with a big outbourd. (I've owned smaller aluminum boats for several years.)

My question is, what should I look out for and test the first time I put the boat on the water or even before the water based on your past experience with a new boats.

Don't forget to put the PLUG in... sounds dumb... but a common mistake. If you do, you will know if the bilge pump works. LOL :)

Did mine on the second time out:) Sure gets your heart goin' knowin' that your gonna' sink 20 ft. from the boat ramp:)LOL Just take your time until you get used to how it handles. Each boat is different....

Grip It and Rip IT...Have fun...JR

Sit down

shut up

hang on

Really the plug thing is good. The other is to make sure your motor is trimmed under the boat before you drop the hammer. I've seen plenty of first timers with a hot rig stand the boat straight up and down, that makes for a great view of the sky but the passenger doesn't have a steering wheel to hang on so he/she goes rolling out the back.

Have the right gas and oil.

fatrap

Did anyone mention to put the plug in? :)

First time out in my first boat was in early March on the Mississippi River just north of St. Louis. The ice had just left. I was about 10 miles up river from my put-in point when I came upon a barge..... A BIG barge..... I made it over his first wake at speed..... But I speared the second..... Br-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r--rr!

DON'T SPEAR BARGE WAKES ON THE MISSISSIPPI IN MARCH!

ALWAYS remember to FOLLOW THE BOOK on motor breakin!!! I don't know if your boat is an OB or I/O,but be VERY careful until she is fully broken in!!

Dave if that is true, it must have been quite a first trip.

as far as your first trip out, take it easy until you get a feel for boat, tuck the motor all the way down before trying to get on plane. don't ease into it, nail it with all its got then ease off the throttle. learn the best position for the trim. start with the gauge at 1/4. if the nose starts to porpuse then either power up or trim down.

as far as the trolling motor goes, be sure to have good ballance untill you get used to the operation of the foot control.

when i went from my 14' tracker with a 10hp to my 882 w/115. the hardest thing to get used to was the trolling motor.

also listen to every one about the plug. some day you will forget it. i did but fortunatlly i was beached before a tourny and noticed the stern sitting really low.

Good luck with the new rig

GregD

Your suspose to leave the plug out occasionaly. How else do you wash the carpet.

fatrap

Make sure to charge BOTH batteries the motor doesn't charge the cranking battery well if you're only taking short runs... but that's another story.

How 'bout unplugging the TM when you're gonna be near the blades? Glad I got the plastic prop on it...

1. As everyone said.......plug in.

2. Remove motor toter(sp?) and tie down straps before launching.

3. Make sure bow rope is long enough

4. If motor doesn't start immediately, CHECK TO SEE IF KILL SWITCH IS IN PLACE FIRST!, and it's hooked to you.

5. Life Jackets on for everyone before moving!!

6. Take it fairly slow until you get used to throttle and trimming motor while running.

7. Have fun!

Tom

what about make sure the kill switch is attached.....I have seen quite a few rookies and veterans run a cranking battery into the ground because the kill switch was not attached. Since you will be water testing the boat...just make sure all the electonics work as advertised....and make sure the livewell works and drains properly.

Ok for launching and driving advise,let talk reloading.Back trailer in to top of wheel carpet and take it slow,the slower the better.My first reloading with a LX700/Merc 115 was quite a sight.Came in so fast,jumped over front roller abd almost went through back window of Jeep,where are them darn brakes.Trial and error,till you find the right distance to back in trailer.Good luck,remember slower is better. <"((((<<

After fishing for awhile, before you leave to go to your next spot........don't forget to put the trolling motor back in it's stow position.

If your boat uses fuses for anything......make sure you take some extras.....I had to use the tin foil from the back of a gum wrapper one day to keep my trolling motor in operation (probably wasnt the best thing for my trolling motor...but I wasnt going home after I had traveled that far to fish).

Make sure your outboard motor is at least perpendicular with the surface of the water when starting it as a lot of people try to start their motors with them tilted up and this makes them harder to start.

I was too uptight to forget my plug until the fourth or fifth time and then I was at Tenkiller where the bank drops off so fast that you're in 50' water less than 20' from the bank. My son, Andy went swimming that day.

The funniest I ever saw was when my brother-in-law bought a new runabout. I backed him down the ramp with my wife, mother-in-law (who was scared to death to start with), and my big fat big mouth sister-in-law all already in the boat. As soon as the boat hit the water, he remembered the plug...duuuh. He jumps in the water and tries to get it in while the sister-in-law and the mother-in-law both are bellering, "TIMMY, ARE WE GOING TO SINK??" I just stood on the ramp and chewed on my tounge to keep from laughing. Good times.

Harpo

Back