Purchase Jeep Grand Cherokee

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ok don't have time to explain but want some opinions. If you were going to purchase a JGC just as a tow/winter vehicle and possible trips which deal would you take?

1999 JGC Limited Black, Loaded 57000 miles warranty for 40,000 more. Interior is crappy!!!, exterior is about a 7 out of 10. Needs rotor work on the brakes. Not warranty work. $13,500

1999 JGC Limited White, Loaded 66,000 warranty for 4000 miles. They are fixing everything I requested. Will need new tires by winter. Interior is 8 out 10, exterior 6 of 10. Some scratchs that can be touched up and one ding about the size of a nickel. Sharp rims. $13,500

1998 JGC Limited Silver, Loaded 80,000 miles. Great shape. 9 of 10 on interior and exterior. New tires, brakes, and water pump. Old body style. $10,000 Is 80000 miles too many for it to be dependable for about 3 years?

2000 JCG Limited Silver, Loaded 65,000 miles I'd say 7 of 10 on both int and ext. $14,000

Tell you more later. I have to decide by Monday.

I say go with the '98.

Why? Because you gave it a 9 out of 10; it's been cared for while the others haven't.

Teri, I bought my present '97 Cherokee about 3 years ago with 60,000 miles on it. It was absolutely immaculate! It's going strong as can be today with 137,000.

I put 231,000 on my previous '94 Cherokee without a whimper outta it. They really build those things well! They'll last and last - if they're taken care of!

I've been driving 4x4 SUV's for the past 20 years.

The interior and exterior conditions of a car tell you a lot about how the mechanical part was cared for.....

me!

Any questions - call me at 618-288-5041.

Save $4K and get less options if it's only going to be a tow vehicle. Way too many miles for any of them for those prices.

Cass :)

get the white one and a warranty from warrantybynet to 100,000 miles. I got a warranty from them and had to use it. Everything went ok because I had all of my service records.

I say the 98. For the reasons stated above.

Rich D

All of these have factory hitches.

Throw in a 1999 GMC Yukon with 47k. 8 of 10 on int and ext. No sunroof or leather like the Jeeps. $13500

What do you think?

Factory hitch does nt necessarily mean towing package i.e. tranny cooler, not that you couldn't add one. I would not tow without one. What engine in the Yukon? Much bigger framed vehicle and very good for towing.

TOXIC

I believe the standard engine on that year was a 5.7L V8, 255hp and 330 torque. I did leave him a message this morning to clarify that.

My V8 Jeep still struggles to pull it up some of the hills that I go up in southern Indiana. It does a pretty good job overall.

A guy at work wants to buy my Jeep for what I paid for it so I have been looking for just a tow vehicle and then I am giong to buy my Mini Cooper or something with great gas mileage to drive as my every day car.

Not sure if I want to give up my Jeep because it's in excellent shape and I like it.

Fished for about 3 hours and didn't catch anything. The water was 52 and it was really drawn down. There was a big tournament there so there were tons of boats fishing. I just wanted to make sure everything was working on the boat before the rally.

Teri -

Before you do that, consider the hidden costs of owning two vehicles..... Like insurance.

(I did the same thing once and, after 3 months, decided it was costing me more in insurance than I was saving in fuel mileage, etc.)

I found a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Loaded, with premium rims like the ones I currently have and I got them down to $13,250. 65k. The interior and exterior is 9 out of 10. The only problem for me is it's red with black interior. That probably would have been my last choice of colors although the red was really shiny and it made the Jeep almost look new. I am having them take it to a mechanic today and I am having him look it over.

I am struggling to decide if I want to give up my current Jeep which is green with taupe interior 23k 2002. It would cut my payments in half allowing me to make double payments and have it paid off quickly and I can buy myself a car by the spring.

If it's in good mechanical condition, should I buy it. With 65K, it is going to last for awhile without sticking me for repairs constantly. I know all used cars are a crap shoot but I heard the older Jeeps had alot of problems.

What do you think? Oh and by the way, red would match the boat much better. I know a few of you would be happy to hear me say that.

Red with black interior will be the hottest ride you can get. For me, that would be a very distinct decision point. Red is the 'hottest' color, followed closely by black.

If it's in good mechanical condition (at least from the look that you are going to get), it sounds like a decent deal. Does it have the 'towing' options that you want?

All of my cars/vehicles lately, have been good used ones. I saved big bucks, and still got pretty much what I wanted.

Just remember, if you do it, don't look back. Won't help.

Tex

Teri,

Maybe if you look at this you can gather detailed information on the vehicle and it's history. Check out the Technical Service Bulletins and go from there. All of the info is FREE. There are 151 service bulletins on the 1999 Jeep GC and 4 Recalls, 2 defect investigations, and 1694 Complaints.

Cass :)

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

Tex, what do you mean by "hottest"? Meaning most sought after or hot like it will be hot inside the car?

Yes, it has a tow package and tranny cooler.

Teri - Also it's worth the $15-$20 to do a carfax.com for ANY car you are looking at used.

I did pull a carfax on this one and it was clean. My guess is they bought it at an auction off a lease.

Back