Pulled the front deck of the TV-18

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marke Cicero

Reaction score
I like the recessed TM pedals in the new glass boats. I figured I could cut a hole in my front deck, build a box underneath and build my own recessed pedal.

Well I pulled the deck off only to find that the aluminum cross members that support the deck are too close together. Even if I did cut a hole in the deck, my foot pedal wouldn't fit down between the aluminum frame.

But while I was in there I did straighten out some wire routing and I added some carpet extensions to the rod lockers so my rod tips bang on the aluminum hull. I also got some really cool ideas for additional "small item" storage compartments.

Like a crappie livewell on the deck?

Do you know if you cut a hole in your front deck you will void all warranty on your boat. At least that is what Tracker told me.

It's a shame the pedal won't fit.

Recessing my pedal was the best thing I have done to the boat.My back feels ten times better after a day of fishing.

I did the exact thing you were going to do to see if I would like it.This summer I am going to have a box bent up out of alum. instead of the wooden box.

Steve

Marke-

Find any "surprises" under there?

Let over pieces/parts...rivets...etc.???

az

Marke -

I've been wanting to do the exact thing. How hard was it to pull the deck?

I know there is a crossmember there, the work around is to have it cut and re-support it after the recess is in. I talked with Bob B last week when I picked up my boat and they will do the install for me, so it can be done.

I'm still up in the air about the aftermarket recess', I'm aiming to do what Steve R did with his and do it all aluminum.

Andy, I found one screw and bunch of metal shavings. The biggest surprise was the foam, or lack there of. I expected a little more flotation.

Bruce, I thought of cutting and moving the braces but I don't know how to weld and it's not important enough for me to pay to have it done. Some day I may concider it.

Pulling the deck was a little tricky. You have to start by pulling the trolling motor. Next comes the electrical panel. Then the small bow deck that the TM is attached to. Finally the front deck. Some of my deck screw heads stripped out so I had to drill them out. Drilling out the screws meant going to the hardware store for new ones. When replacing the deck I just moved over an inch or so put in some new holes.

Rocket, my boat is an '01. I don't have a warranty to worry about.

Bruce,

The reason I did my own (other than being a cheap a$$) was to keep the hole as small as possible.I didn't like the gap around the pedal on the ones for sale.Too much room to get your foot hung up in.

Steve

Marke, I was in the marina the other day to get the gas guage fixed and they were recarpeting a TV-18. I was able to see the entire boat without a deck. I saw two places to put hatches. One was way up front and it would make a great place for small items. The second was behind the seat base on the back deck. It would give a straight access to the punps/bilge area. I cannot believe that Tracker has not put that one in!!!!!!

Let me know if you do put in a troller pedal drop. I think I could benefit from one also!!

Good luck fishing!

Randy,

I what you mean about the rear hatch. I have removed my back deck several times to access the bilge area. The small 6" diameter port hole tracker gives you is an absolute joke. I'll consider those options in a few years when I need new carpet.

Marke

Back