PT165 owners has anyone added a lock to the front storage ???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XMYTRUCK XMYTRUCK

Reaction score
Hello

I will be getting my boat back soon and I will be taking so fishing trips this year and I was wondering if any has added a lock to the front storage? I know Dave once mentioned it and tips and advice or Pics would be great..

Thanks

X

I'm not familiar with what kind of compartment handles a PT has, but when I bought my '04 Targa, I had all the crappy factory handles replaced with Perko T handles like a Ranger (& Nitros?) has. They fit in the same holes, & I was able to put lockable one in all the storage compartments & unlockable ones in the livewells, etc. I switched them all so they all had the same appearance around the boat.

Mark

X - I added one to the front of my Pro Crappie (similar to the one on your 165), I bought the lock/hardware at Home Depot, but in hindsight i'd order it from Tracker Parts so the key was the same. The hole in the lid was easy, the HARD part was cutting a horizontal slot in my deck for the L shaped lock bar to attach to. Unlike the compartments in my Nitro where the there is a lip already built in I had to cut into the aluminium deck/sidewall to make it lock.

Mark hoffmans web site must be down no luck there :(.. What I was hoping to do was get a perko lock and mount an L bracket to sidewall. But I was hoping that I would not have to cut the top of the lid it get a standard perko on it..

Thanks

X

Thanks MoFish

Have you tried or do you think it might be possible just replacing the the lib pull with a locking one?

Thanks

X

Ps. good site .

If I remember correctly (it's been a couple of years), the locking lid pulls - the kind with the T-handle - are the same diameter as the non-locking ones. I was going for an installation that appears factory-installed (Right or wrong, I'm kind of anal about this kind of stuff). The other concern I had was that the locking bar itself would be the wrong length for my boat. If you choose to go that route, be sure to get all the pertinent measurements off of a sample before you start replacing stuff.

What you're suggesting has merit - ease of installation (no additional cutting needed) and an "upgrade" over standard Tracker hardware. Go for it!!

Here's the lid pull that fit the standard hole on my boat:

i016058sq01.jpg

Thanks Mo

X

PS. anyone heard from Dave lately he accomplished this on his 165 would love to hear how he did it..

Back