PT 185 Rod Lockers

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason L

Reaction score
I noticed this weekend that my rod lockers wouldn't take and rod longer than 6'6" and I have 2 7' rods. I shined a flashlight in the locker and could see it hitting the end of the cabinet. Has anyone found a way around this? (Besides buying shorter rods) :angry:

Thanks.

Really? When my buddy Dave had his he put 7' rods in it all the time. I think he used the locker on the passenger side for all his rods. I wonder if they changed somethig from when he had his, his was a 98 model.

That is funny (funny weird, not funny ha ha). In my 02PT175, my seven foot rod fits fine in the rod locker with a few inches to spare.

I don't know what your problem is, I put 7 footers in mine all the time. I use the port side locker maybe that's the differance. I have noticed when I removed the front panel that the 7' rods were all the way up there and had to bend slightly to fit.

One tip for you, Jason. Buy some Rod Socks from BPS. They will make your storage of your rods a lot easier.

Harpo

I have the BPS rod socks and I used the port side locker as well. I'll try to take some pictures to show you what the obstruction is on both sides.

Jason, I used to have a 2003 P/T 185. My seven footers would fit, but it was close. Sometimes I had to jiggle them around a little to find the sweet spot. I also used the BPS rod socks.

Steve

I'm not sure what help we can be. If you know there are obstructions, then you have two courses of action--remove the obstruction or shorten the rods. I'm assuming you don't want to shorten the rods. If the obstruction is a key component of your structural integrity, then removing it is not an option.

Sell the 7-footers and replace with shorter rods.

Kep them above deck in the tie-downs; store in house when not used.

Buy a boat with bigger rod lockers.

My 98 also holds 7 footers just fine. I too store mine in the passenger side locker.

Back