Promo baits at WalMart

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg J.

Reaction score
Hey all, we were in WalMart last night and I found (on the lower shelf) a box of assorted colors promotional soft baits (worms, lizards, etc) on sale for $0.97. Probably about 6-10 baits per bag. Bait is made by Riverside.

here's a silly question: one of the baits i got was a crawdad looking deal, and should I rig it on the hook with the pincers pointing towards the eye of the hook or away from it, or does it matter?

You can get some interesting results when you rig certian baits backwards. I fish a twin-tail hula grub backward, with the twin tail part up by the hook eye and without a weight. It makes the bait glide backward so it will go in under logs and rock overhangs ect. I can picture doing the same thing with the craws. Real craws swim backward so a craw imitator would look more natural falling in a tail down position. You could use a weighted "tail-dragger" hook to keep it in the right posture. Something to think about the next time the bass are suspending against a rock ledge.

Harpo

If I'm not mistaken, crawfish CRAWL forward (else those eyes aren't of much use). The do swim backward and when in a defensive position, kinda stick their pinchers up at about a 30-45 degree angle. And swimming may not be the right word. They "dart" backward usually a few inches at a time, though can do multiple darts in succession (swimming). So, while you're trying to "be the bait", keep that in mind.

Also, as demo'd at BPS, a bass will literally inhale the crawfish and blow it right back out. Reason? To break off the pinchers. So, if you miss a bass, just let her settle right back down, she ain't finished yet.

Back