Problems in Louisiana

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
We are having our bayous gated off, and have no access to them. How is this happening I do not know .The landowners that own the property, are allowed to do so. We are not allowed to enter , however our resources fish, animals, etc. are . When it started, it wasn't bad, now gates are all over. I could understand if they had to put dams, to stop us, where water could not flow freely. This is really out of hand, you now can get a ticket for fishing anywhere, gate or no gate if the land is not owned by the state. You are required to know if the water you are fishing is private or State owned . Is this only in GOOD OLD LOUISIANA, THE SPORTSMAN'S PARIDISE, or does this happen any other place? Bubby

Stuff like that dosent happen up here in Mass. Any "great pond" or anything over 100 acres is owned by the state, rivers are also owned by the state. People who own waterfront property only own to the high water mark on the shore so they cant prevent you from fishing that water, its actually against the law to interfere with someone hunting or fishing in a legal sporting manner on public land or water. I think New hampshire works much the same way.

Here in Pa. we had some problems with land owners posting parts of small rivers for members only "fishing clubs".

Bunches of fishermen got toghether in drift boats and anchored right smack dab in the middle of them untill they were arrested.Once they were in court it was thrown out on the grounds that it is navigable water and therefore it was open for public use.

The landowners own the banks on each side,and can post them,but cannot stop you from being in the water.

Maybe talk to some fishing clubs in the area and see what their thoughts on the situation are.By yourself there isn't much you can do.

That is an interesting problem... Check with the local Coast Guard office about navigable waterways under federal law... That woulkd trump any local law

In MD the rules only apply to the land also. The land owners have no say over any water way. Stream,Creek,River ect. It was my understanding that all water ways were contolled by one of the U.S government branches?

BF

Gosh that really is un-American to fence out fishermen. The closest that I have seen to that in Kentucky is landowners along the creeks, that run off the Ohio River, post NO WAKE signs. Unfortunately, lots of bassers ignore the signs and cause a lot of landowners to hate bassers. So far though, I haven't seen fences yet.

Da Bear

Back