Pro Team 175 questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R.

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am a new Pro Team 175 owner and have some questions about a few things. The boat is under warranty but I am nowhere near a Tracker dealer so would like to try to fix a few of these things myself. My steering is VERY tight and there is a clicking coming from somewhere in the steering box in the console. How can I loosen up the steering a bit? The idle is around 800 RPM and I would like to get it to around 1000 because it is always on the verge of dying. Those are the two main things I would really like to fix to make me happier with my boat. Are these things that can be done easily and if so how? I also was curious what you Pro Team guys do about the bottom part of the boat on the unfinished aluminum to keep it shiny or do you just let it go and not mess with it? Thanks in advance.

From past experience I would strongly recommend taking it back to a dealer! That way if any problems that continue to arise are documented and it gives you a better leg to stand on if push comes to shove

The motor can be serviced under warranty by any Mercury Dealer. The steering if your lucky you maybe able to get a Mercury dealer to look into also for you, they just may need to contact Tracker on your behalf and state that your not local to a Tracker Marine dealer, I had some warranty work down on my 99 Nitro and used a local Mercury dealer, tracker approved it.

I just wanted to share what I found to fix the problem with the steering in case anyone else has this problem. There were actually 2 things causing the steering to be tight. The first one was the plastic nut with the seal on the end of the collar that the cable runs through on the motor, it is supposed to be threaded on the collar only 1/4 inch so as not to preload the O'ring in the seal too much. Well it was tightened up all the way. The second thing was the lock nut on the end of the steering arm that connects to the motor is supposed to be tightened until it touches and then backed off 1/4 turn. It was not backed off at all. I fixed these things and the steering is excellent now! As far as the idle being only 800 RPM, the manual states that this is correct so I will leave that alone.

Back