Price of a boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Brant

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently looking at a 2002 Pro Team 185 Special Edition with the 90 HP 2stroker. I live in the Boston area and the boat is located in the Rhode Island. My question is what would be a sqaure and fair price. How much would you say this rig would go for, only optional equipment is an ungrade TM, 70 trust. The boat is clean and has low hours. If anyone can help thanks, P.S. this is my first post, I've been lurking for a while, hopegully I buy this boat and can participate more often.

Thanks, Sean

You are doing it right. The time to participate is BEFORE you buy!!:lol: I'll give you all of the standard answers and then those that own that make/model can give you the real skinny.

Have you done a NADA workup? Not that it means all that much but it is a ballpark starting point.

What's he asking for it?

Have you had the motor checked out by a third party mechanic? Any sale should be contingent on that.

What shape is it in? Hours on motor? Electronics?

TOXIC

funny you mentioned that, I just saw one on the river up here and the guy told me he paid 4500 for it(in PA), nice looking rig. Not sure if that helps or not.

Oh Yeah

Welcome aboard;)

Good advice above. Make sure you check the motor out, those 90's are tough, but that is where you will spend the money if it is a problem. Also check out the title laws in the 2 states so you get everything you need if you buy it. Good luck and welcome, whether you buy this or not.

I've put mine thru the ringer and back!

Tough motor...tuff boat!:cool:

Thank all, I've seen the boat and its a clean rig, looks brand new. It comes with everything that came with the dealer (OEM electronics) but it does have a 24 volt TM, it also comes with a cover and a GPS unit that is handheld. Ownere claims that the motor has 40-50 hours on it, an no I have not had it checked out. NADA said that the "suggested retail" is $10,985 but that seems high, it also has that the price varies betwenn $5,030 (low) and $5,700 (high) and thats with nothing and the stock 50 Horse. Seller was hinting on $7,500. I've seen similar boats pricer higher and lower online and am torn.

Thanks all, Sean B

Run compression on the outboard. Check the hull inch by inch. Other than that, not much can bite you that isn't fairly obvious or easy to overcome money wise. Run compression on the outboard. The Merc 90 is a workhorse 3 cyl. with a tried and true powerhead, but is not impervious to damage/abuse. That boat package in whole is the best selling and most durable/usable combo TMG ever produced. IMHO Oh, yeah, one more thing. Run compression on the outboard. Good luck!

What the others said plus a few more things - get an on-water test and run the boat. When doing the on-water test, make sure it gets on plane nicely and handles smoothly. Check out EVERYTHING to make sure it works. Livewell, bilge pump, lids/locks, lights, tilt/trim, motor, depthfinder, etc. When you pull the boat out of the water, pull the plug and make sure the bilge stayed dry. If it did, this is the time now to check the bilge pump by plugging and adding some water to see if it works. It won't hurt the boat and a serious buyer should allow you to do it. Still have the compression check done and have him change the lower unit fluid in front of you check what kind of shape its in (should look like oil fresh from the bottle with no excessive metal shavings or cloudy/milkly fluid).

If its really in good shape, $7,500 might be about right. Check on your local ads or craigslist for your area to see what comparables are going for.

Don't forget to check out the trailer - how do the tires look? Grease spatters behind the back of the wheels (bad - probably means a blown seal). Galvanized trailer or painted? If the latter, is there rust? Do all the lights on the trailer work? Swing away tongue? Brakes?

Definitely make sure all titles/registrations/etc. are in hand and check the laws of your state on what needs to be done to transfer title to the boat AND trailer (oftentimes they are considered separately - sometimes the motor requires its own title too!).

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back