Power steering question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
I have a boat with hydraulic steering for the first tiem. It's a SeaStar unit. Seems to work well.

When I open the reservoir cap on top of the steering column, I cannot see any fluid. Should I see any? Is there a way to check the fluid level?

Found the answer at the SeaStar web site, as shown in this picture:

HA5438.gif

I think you want this page for full details:

http://www.seastarsteering.com/OUTBOARD/oboard.htm?../FILL_PURGE/FillPurge.htm&1

(I need to check mine as well, thanks for the reminder!)

Rich, make sure you arent leaking fluid somewhere in the system. If you are loosing fluid, air is getting in and like brakes on a car air in the lines in no good.

My father has the seastar on his boat and i found a minor leak in it last summer that let enough air in to cause the boat to steer funny. He never even noticed it until i drove the boat and pointed out the dead spot in the steering. The rebuild kits are cheap and the system is pretty easy to bleed.

Rich - How are the floors/hardware? Wood or composite decking? You planning to use it to fish while you are restoring her or just park her and take her apart??

MAN I hate having 2 boats in the garage and NO time for either of them!!

Enjoy!!

Trep, I've been a bit under the weather, so my energy to rip the boat apart and put it back together has been restrained. The boat is not wood free, but a lot of the construction is composite. We took her out yesterday. Fishing was slow Jeanne christened her with a couple of dinks.

Probably gonna have a two or three week stretch where I tear it apart, send the seats out to get the stitching repaired, get the prop reconditioned, rebundle all the loose wiring, add a front deck extension, figure out my rod storage solutions, etc.

Enjoyed fishing off her yesterday. Lanier had a moderate, sloppy chop, and the boat shrugged it off. When trolling, she didn't get blown around by the wind as much I had feared. The OMC trolling motor, although antiquated looking, is actually comfortable to use and pulls pretty strong. Was also pleasantly surprised to find all three batteries worked well enough to not be considered throw away.

Jeanne named the boat "the brave little toaster," because it's not much to look at, but still capable. :)

I like that "the brave little toaster"!!!

Sounds like you have a plan, I hope you are feeling much better!

Sent the boat transfer form in this morning so tell Jeanne all her great work on the numbers will NOT go to waste!!!

Trailer I have to wait till I sell the tracker to swap it.

Glad Jeanne got a fish!! I have yet to take the Nitro out with any rods. Definitely after Canada!!

More pictures on the way as I get further into this project.

boat1.JPG

Purdy boat!!! I was in the mouth of 6-mile Creek for a while yesterday. Had a good topwater bite early, dropshot produced from then on. I hope to see your new toy out there next time. Nice ride Rich! Enjoy!!!

Dan - so Tin is in for you!!! LOL

Hey you working tomorrow? Tex is coming down 85 from SC and I asked him to stop by and see if there was a reasonable priced short handle net that would fit in my duffle bag. My 24 inch handle net BARELY fits and i'm afraid the airlines will bend/break it. I'm thinking of the $8.99 one on the BPS website with a 18 inch handle.

Dan, we were at the mouth of 6 Mile from about 11am until about noon. Saw a bunch of striper boats out, not much bassin'.

Trep - Ask for Brian at the reel counter and tell him you're a buddy of mine. Since the beginning of the month, I've become a full time Dad with my boys. Joe started Kindergarten at Westminster and Jack's needs comes before anything else. I wish I had time for BPS/Tracker and all the rest, but I have to keep that time free for my little Jack. He's 10 mos. old now and doing better all the time! He's got a schedule that's keeps me hopping, but I'm lucky for every minute of it!! I'm always going to be close to all my friends at/connected to the shop, so if I can ever help, don't hesitate to ask.

Rich - I was probably one of those boats you saw. (big green Targa/150 Merc, big fat hairy guy standing in the bow. LOL!) I was just off (150' from) the island to your right heading in from the main lake way before you get to 4 mile and the narrows. It has a long, knife edged point that drops off into the channel. The schoolies would bust out in the channel eating a Sammy 85 (left dead on top of a boil) early then I switched to a .6oz. sil. foil Flex-it spoon, swimming through those boils later, but the brush around that island at about 25-28' had fish locked on them and they were hitting a dropshot pretty fair in between surface action, rigged 4' up. I think the weather change and yesterday's winds made them a little more active. I couldn't get the first bite on a spinnerbait though. I bet someone found some spinnerbait fish with that wind we had. Maybe more sun earlier would have helped. I hope to get out next week, if Katrina let's me!

Back