Power Packs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris F.

Reaction score
Does anyone keep a powerpack in their boat? I use the trolling motor alot and just run the big motor to get to a new spot. Sometimes I have had to jump the starting battery with the trolling batteries(my electronics have run down the cranker). I don't have a charger hooked up to my starting battery. My dad suggested having a powerpack as a backup for safety. What are your thoughts, pros and cons. Thanks, Chris F.

It probably wouldn't hurt anything. I'm very surprised that you can run your cranking battery down. How many electronics are you running?

Marty, I agree, something is unusual here. Chris, if your cranking battery is connected to your trolling motor, you might want to buy another battery and get it on a separate circuit. If it is on a separate circuit already you may have a failing cranking battery assuming that your big motor is not really hard to start.

If your 200 is a 3.0 litre, you definitely need a 900cca battery or larger. (Check amp, load, acid level, etc...) That being said, the main battery ground lead on boats is notorious for corrosion and weakening load with age. First thing I recomend to all with assembly line boats is to pull out the main accessory leads and replace them with 10 guage minimum to the fuse panel. (8 guage if the lugs will accomodate.) Upgrading the wire to accessories from the fuse block is also a plus, but not near as rectifying as the main lead replacements. I've seen this cure a multitude of electrical "ghosts" in the machine. ;)

Marty, I usually have two fish finders and a flasher on at all times. Dan, my cranking battery isn't connected to my trollers. My biggest worry is that I don't run the big motor enough to recharge the cranking battery. I must be too lazy to get out my portable charger to charge the cranker. Chris F. :blink:

something is wrong, if you run that big motor for 5 minutes over 1500 rpms, it should be way more than enough time to recharge that battery.

i run 2 depth finders, a flasher, livewell and proair, and sometimes the radio for hours and my boat always starts.

mike c

I modified a set of old jumper cables and keep them in the battery compartment just in case. They have come in handy a couple times when I may have forgotten to shut the master power switch off. ;) I just jump off one of the troller batteries.

Gene

Latest posts

Back