Potomac Snakehead Update

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Meier

Reaction score
Went out yesterday just to try and catch one of these things. (Mike C has been decimating the population) I caught four, and this was the biggest of the bunch.

The trick for me was to get all the way in the back of the weed mat with high tide water and burn a 1/2 oz white spinnerbait over the submerged grass. I even caught a few largeheads by accident.:lol:

Snakehead9-21-08.jpg

nice fish mike, where di you catch them i cant tell from the pic.

and the rumors are true they are good to eat.

mike c

Head to the back of Aquia before you get in the creek. They are on both sides against the hard bank and islands. Get some pic's!!!

Jim - the Northern Snakehead is an invasive species that was introduced illegally into the lower Potomac. They originate from Asian where they are prized as a food fish. Speculation is that a breeding pair originally intended as food were released into the Potomac River. Recently, a Maryland Ranger discovered a nest of snakeheads in the upper portion of Mattawoman creek numbering near 100. All were dispatched quickly after discovery.

Snakeheads spawn several times a season (versus just once a season for largemouth). Despite the rumors and sensationalized Hollywood movie, they can not walk on land nor will they seize and eat small pets or children. They can, however, survive in water with very low dissolved oxygen and even out of the water for long periods of time so long as they stay moist. Best way to kill them (and kill them you must as it is illegal to have a live one in possession) is by decapitation or complete removal of gills.

Jim's right. They can't walk. Of course that big rock in the head didn't help them any???

:lol::lol::lol:

How was the fight? As much asI would like to catch one,I dont want to see it here in Massayouknowtherest:D

Walleye/Pike/Bowfin? When the river gives you Snakeheads, make dinner. :wacko::wacko:

Th fight was pretty good to start and then ended up like an old rubber boot (walleye). Really pretty lame for a fish that size. I wasn't very impressed.

Well then, the only red3eeming value is they taste good.

Thanx for the heads up Greg A and Jim C, as i had no idea WTF that was. It sorta reminds me of a cross between an EEL and a Pike/Pickerel. I flunked history classes so heres a dumb question. Wheres the Potomac located? Thanx Guys, Jim

It runs right buy this little city called washington, its in the district of columbia, between virgina and maryland. its headwaters are in west virgina and it ends in the chesapeake bay.

mike c

BBBBBBbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....The entire lower Potomac River is part of the State of Maryland, with the exception of a small tidal portion within the District of Columbia. Except for a small portion of its headwaters in West Virginia, the North Branch Potomac River is considered part of Maryland to the low water mark on the opposite bank. The South Branch Potomac River lies completely within the state of West Virginia.

This was taken from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

Uncle Billy

If you catch a Snakehead you are to kill it and call the DNR toll-free hotline (1-800-770-4951) that anglers can use to report snakehead fish. This number is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Latest posts

Back