Potomac Saltwater 8-30-08

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Meier

Reaction score
The saltwater concentration is way up the river as are the rock fish. How do you know when you are "really" whacking them?

When your catching them 2 at a time!!!!

:D

3rd time I have done this.

Potomac8-30-08003.jpg

Topwater till 10:30 AM with 50+ fish and one over 26.

Those albino racing carp are a ball on topwater! Get them reds a hair bigger and pull out the cast iron for a blackening party!! Great fish guys!!! :D

sweet,

where did you catch the red fish? how far south?

mike c

Was down the Fort Walton Beach area, near the 3605 Bridge.

Also had a 3/4 'trap set of hooks stuck in the meat of my right hand...thanks to Mike for the surgery on the water! Fisnied that fun up today with a tetanus shot.....

Edited to stop the insurgency

SWEET A TETNAUS SHOT

lucky you, glad to hear you were catching them, i stayed up aquia way and managed a few blue fish and snagged a skate, then decided it was time for some big heads, managed quite a few up to 4 lbs, on a buzz bait, on at sunrise and off at 10 am. monday i hit anna to look around again.

mike c

WoW what a great day!!:):D I didn't know there were any Redfish in the Potomac, even that far south.. You guys have me so jealous I can't stand it! BooHooBooHoo...:(:(

Uncle Billy

I did the best I could trying to get that hook out, but it just moved it down? Now as long as Carlos is in the boat I don't need the boga grip anymore!

:lol::lol::lol:

250px-

This really this does work pretty good if you only have one barb buried. I have a few others to use when you get mutiple barbs. if it's done right the person doesn't even know the hook is out.

2231_f3.gif

String-yank method. (A) Wrap a string around the midpoint of the bend in the fishhook. (B) Depress the shank of the fishhook against the skin. (C) Firmly and quickly pull on the string while continuing to apply pressure to the shank.

Mike,

Took my neighbor girl (10 years old) and her dad out yesterday and could NOT find the blues....ran to Potomac Creek looking for them and they were not to be found...I did find gobs and gobs of White Perch though. Where did you get the skate???

UB, I had not caught a Red Fish before...they are fun thats for sure, especially on spining tackle!

The yank method does work, and my hand can attest to that! None worse for the wear, and we even straightened out the hook and put it back on the trap, waste not want not!!!

Question it looks like U have a tin boat do anything special with the boat after you dunk it in the salt?

Thx

X

carlos,

i was on the southern side of potomac creek, just down for the mouth.

the blues have been mixed in with the rockfish on the righthand side of aquia creek going out.

mike c

Thanks Mike. I ran to the North side and the perch were just playing, no blues.

X, Mike can naswer that, but not too much more then normal washing well from what I have seen.

Hey guys!

Nice fish Mike and CIII!! Haven't had much luck myself on the lower Potomac after the "big one" out of the Spoils earlier this year. Maybe I can get some pointers from you guys for later in the season?

Just to demonstrate how versatile the Potomac can be, while you all were on the lower parts, I was up in a kayak near Brunswick, MD on the upper Potomac fishing for smallies. My best was a 15 inch beauty (no scale - just a ruler embossed on the of the 'yak). Also got a 14 incher and an 11 incher along with about 30 assorted panfish and young smallies (10" and smaller range). Unfortunately, I didn't have the "big fish" of the day. That honor when to my buddy Tom who caught a 19" smallie AND a walleye!!

Tight lines!

Jim

Jim,

Nice! Smallies close to our town! very nice, may have to try that. What were you guys using?

how big was the Walleye, them there things are GOOD eating!!!!!

Carlos:

Tom was using a new style crawfish crankbait from BPS. It was an Uncle Bucks craw (link below). I was using three inch swim baits. Both were working really well! We're thinking of going up again for a day trip in October if you're interested (or anyone else!). After that, it will be time to hit the hot side again!

Jim
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...1_51828_100005001_100000000_100005000_100-5-1

3 inch Salt and Pepper Kalins grub on a 1/16th oz jighead.

I have gone to the river with only that lure and caught over 100 smallies.....more than once!!

TOXIC

i cant wait till fall to get in on some rapp river smallies.

im going to get me a 7 lber this year or die trying.

mike c

19-03mike.jpg

smallies1.jpg
mikesbf.jpg

Mike, I am game for soem smallies like that!!!! Almost as good as St Claire too!!!

the first pic is right at 20 lbs for 5 the single pic is a 6 lber, and the 2 are just 3s.

but nice for this area.

mike c

hopefully i can get some more pics this year.

its just tough when your by your self most of the time.

but i somehow manage

HAHA You and Mike are good at the pics! too big a pain when I am by myself....

That is a nice bag of Smallies Mike, really is. When did they shut down?

you can go and catch some today, they are sitting on 25 to 45 ft of water, and its a pain to fight the current at i hate fishing deep. so i will just wait, at 60 degress they will come up and stay fairly shallow till spring for the most part.

HA, no catching some for me today, I am in San Diego! HAHAHAH BIG Large Heads here.....

But I get your jist, really had no idea there were that good of smallies in the area!

carlos,

maybe you and me will sneak out on river one day this fall and you can toxic all about it. hahaha

maybe even send him a ppicture or two.

mike c

this is why you should fish the rapp.

Ya gotta catch those when the money is on the line!!:)

FOM%20TX%20pic.jpg

Erie has quite a few of the big ones that move into the bay during the spring but timing is the key to fishing it. I have a PA State trophy fish award (same as our VA citation) for one pretty close to 7 from 2007.

I agree mike, i have fished up north before for smallies, but for virginia the rapp sure can suprise you, and its 20 minutes from the house. Ive been out there alot in the fall when i was the only boat on the river.

mike c

Latest posts

Back