Potomac and Tin Boats

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Clark

Reaction score
Does the Potomac contain salt water at any point? Does the river have any adverse affects on aluminum boats? I have a new Bass Tracker and would love to fish this river!

Jim

Jim

North of the 301 bridge you will be fine. The salt wedge does creep north during the summer when we have extended periods of no rain, but it is usually not salty enough to damage an aluminum boat. There is a site I have seen that will show you the salt content in the river.

HP

Jim - like Steve said, stay north of the 301 bridge and you'll be fine. I've had my PT175 out on the Potomac for over five years and had no problems. Now doing it with a G3 HP180 and still no issues vis-a-vis salt. I mostly fish from DC waters down to just below Mattawoman/Leesylvania.

Just remember a painted trailer is the most vulnerable part of your boat to salt.

Well, I caught a Redfish...so did CIII, at the mouth of Aquia and it is common to catch Bluefish also. It is "Brackish" water but it is a low enough salt content that the bass don't mind and neither does your boat!! One more thing.....you have more to worry about with weather conditions. Keep a close eye on that out there in a tin boat. That river can get really nasty really fast....word!!

TOXIC

Jim

If ypu have a new boat, put Sharkhide on it and you won't have to worry about staining. If you think you'll ever want to polish it, do it first, because once Sharkhide is on, it is VERY difficult to remove.

See our boat in my library.

Mike

A galvanized trailer will take care of you if you just wash it off when you get home.

Also, just take care of you boat the same way!! When you get it home make sure you rinse it off very well with fresh water. Also, rinse off the rear wheels of whatever vehicle it is that you back down the ramp with..That will keep your wheels from rusting.

If so this Brackish water will not stain nor will it rust your boat. I live three miles from downtown Annapolis, MD and see any number of boats you can name. They aren't in brackish water either but are in salt water all the way. I never see any of them rusted out or destroyed. All boats are not just made for fresh water.

Uncle Billy

:lol::lol::lol:

Been running my Xpress from the headwaters of the Potomac above DC (I think there is stuff in the water up there that hasn't been named yet?:D) to the mouth where it dumps into the bay. Yes, where Scott caught his carp #$@* I mean Red fish, it's brackish and the salinity levels climb there in the summer when we don't have rain. In Aquia Creek it has been as high as 13 points which is near costal equivilent. No big deal....... I have been running this river for years and you can look at my rig and it looks as good as the day I bought it. No issues with internal engine corrosion and I keep up with the trailer touch up.

Do a fresh water wash down of the hull/trailer/engine when you pull out and before it dries. That's it. No fancy soap as salt dilutes better with just H2O. You can use a garden hose or the car wash high pressure water. Just get a good flush on the trailer wheels and force some thru the engine intake/exhaust.

Latest posts

Back