pond fishing/small boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Brone

Reaction score
My son and I have found this great large pond/small lake near home. I'd like to get a small carryable boat to fish from. Problem is, there is no access off any roads since it is back in the woods. There are R/R tracks that run right next to one side of it. There's also a horseback trail that runs along it for a bit too. Nevertheless, it'll have to be carried in. We will want to bring in a trolling motor/battery and a few rods and a small tackle box. I'd really like to prevent anyone seeing us bringing it in so as not to start anything. Because you know what can happen there....Any suggestions as to what type of craft we could get and a safe and effective way of bringing it to the water? I considered inflateble. What do y'all think?

Think about the small boat that Jim C has on the Swap & Sell. Sounds like an ideal boat for what you are trying to do. I would imagine that even with trolling motor, battery, rods / reels and tackle you could "pull" the boat / trailer to the pond you want to go in. Even use a portable boat dolly (wheels with a hitch ball on top) would make it easier to pull.

Really good bargain that Jim C is offering.

Jim:

I had the same problem here in Louisiana. I bought a small aluminum boat and added some wheels on the back. I got some right angled metal and bolted it to the back and added two small lawn mower wheels. It was easy and water tight. The boat should have some type of handle at the front. I sold it years later to a guy who had a crawfish pond. It worked for him. I would put all my gear inside the boat and just pull it to the pond. Just a suggestion.

Barry from La. :)

Yes - what Bill in VA said!! But since you are in Illinois and my small boat is in Virginia making pick up an issue, I would recommend a flat back canoe like a Coleman Scanoe or Pelican Bayou 160 (exact same canoe built by the same company). Very stable boats with a flat stern to handle up to a 5hp outboard (easily handles a troller with battery). I would also recommend you getting one of those canoe carts to haul it around. Website link to pictures below.
http://www.directboats.com/20ba160sqstc.html

Basshunter makes a pvc boat as does Bass Pro Shops. I have the Basshunter. You can get a 2 wheeled cart that allows you to pull it anywhere within reason. I don't have one since I have a jeep wrangler and a trailer. There's nowhere I can't go!! Google Basshunter Boats.

TOXIC

I have a float tube you can have. I haven't used it since the snake crawled down my waders.

fatrap

Latest posts

Back