Plugged livewell pump

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samr russell

Reaction score
'03, Pro-Crappie. Recently ive blown a bunch of 3 amp fuzes when the livewell pump gets junk sucked in. Has anyone put a screen on the intake. It was suggested that a faucet screen might do. Seems to be a 1/2 inch intake or close. Since the intake is underwater and the pump is down in the bilge, it would seem impossible to clean it while its in the water. Pump is a snap off/on design and I probably would'nt take on too much water but I have'nt chanced it yet. Any ideas??? sam

With my 2002 Targa 17, the end of the intake pipe is threaded and you can screw a wire mesh strainer on it to keep trash out. The strainers are for sale on page 487 in the 2004 BPS Master Catalog.

Thanks Glenn, I looked at the online and thats what I need. I guess I can replace the outside nut with this, HUH???

My boat is in the shop getting the engine's skag repaired so I can't check mine. I think my intake pipe has some threads exposed even with the outside nut screwed on. You might need that outside nut screwed on to keep water out, I'm not sure? You might try unscrewing that outside nut and see if you can push the intake pipe farther thru your transom to expose the threads when you screw the nut down. Good luck.

I took a 3/8" pipe tap and cut threads into the existing I.D. opening on my 99 PT185 & my friends 01' PT175 live well intakes. Ordered a 3/8" n.p.t plastic male screen filter (largest screen size) from a McMaster-Carr catalog and screwed it in. Been working fine for the last 2 yrs. McMaster has an on-line site if your interested. Only thing I changed was cut some of the threaded end of the filter because it was too long. Carl

Sam, I would not replace the nut with a mesh strainer. If it was to fail to hold then your boat is going to take on alot of water fast. More volume of water than your bilge pump can handle. The mesh strainer is an add on. I would try Carl S fix or maybe glueing it on with some good glue.

Do yourselves all a favor. Take those pumps out and replace them with the replaceable cartridge type. Mine on my 02' 185 had clogged up twice last summer and that was the last straw because on the 175 and 185 they are so hard to get to. The cartridge makes it a breeze...one caution though...you can't do it when it's on the water:(

TEE

Back