Pinnacle baitcasters

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Any opinion on this brand (and don't tell me to buy a Curado ha!)? They have the 7 bearing one on sale for a good price. Just wondering if anyone uses those. I have Curados and a Johnny Morris and I am quite please with both.

I don't have a specific comment on the Pinnacles, but have another. I've found, that it's much easier for me, to stick with the same basic reels. I've tried to use some of my 'stock' for different applications, and find that I confuse myself. I've now pretty much settled on make/style from one mfg, and it helps me.

Tex

I agree with Tex, having the same type of reels is a big plus when you are switching rods all day long. Years ago i had different reels or all different brands and since they all cast different it caused me problems. since i have switched to all the same basic reel and they all work the same it makes the transition from rod to rod seamless.

When i decided to "standardize" on a reel i looked at lots of different ones and picked the ones with the features i wanted and durability was a key factor. Shimano was my choice, stradics for spining and curado's, chronarcs, and calcuttas for casting. I also did the same thing for rods, i only buy one brand and thats st croix. now all my stuff has the same "feel' and i really think it makes a difference.

Btw when it comes to buying a reel the number of bearings has zero impact on the quality of the reel. The quality of the parts and how they are used makes a big difference. I have said it before one of the smoothest most durable reels i have ever owned is my shimano calcutta 151, it only has three bearings but that reel is butter smooth and has been ultra durable in 7 years of fresh and saltwater use.

I've actually enjoyed having 2 different brands of reels. I've found that I can zing a rattle trap much farther with the Johnny Morris than I can with my Curado. Now, I understand I could probably change how I have the Curado set up and could throw it farther but the point is I don't have to. When throwing the lighter crank baits, the Curado helps me to minimize back lash. Again, I know it's probably how I have them set up but I like the way they are set up. It probably also has to do with the fact I haven't fished with baitcasters that long either.

Teri, thats why i have 10 casting combo's in my boat. I can set them up differently for different baits and different rod types and leave them that way. Also some rods will throw certan baits better then others. for example my crankbait rod will throw a trap much further then my flipping stick will with the same exact reel.

I would just trip over 10 different set ups. :)

I would to, thats why i leave them in the rod locker when not in use. I also carry 5 spinning setups as well. Having all those setups is nice because it allows me to have rods more tailoerd to a specific type of bait as well as the ability to use a different line for different baits as well. for example i run 40# power pro braid on my flipping stick that would not work as well for another appication liek a spinnerbait or a crankbait. I have rods more tailoerd to the baits i fish and duplicates of those rods too. so if i break off i just pick up another and keep fishing.

Teri -

Changing the "set up" on a Curado is easy! There are only two, easily made adjustments: the spool tension and the brakes. (Oh yeah..... And drag.)

You should be doing it constantly anyway..... When you change baits, when you find yourself casting into or across the wind instead of with it.....

If you have the spool tension tight enough and enough brakes pulled out to meet all conditions, then you aren't in any way realizing the full potential of the reel.....

And I'm like the others; I standardize on one GOOD QUALITY reel so that I can easily go from combo to combo and have everything exactly where I know where it is..... Just wait until you're fighting a big fish and you go to loosen a drag that is the opposite direction from what you thought and you break the line.....

me!

Pinnacle makes a very fine reel. They also private label a lot for other companies. I know the old FLW reels at Wal-Mart used to be Pinnacles. Loved them, and have 4. Can't beat the price.

Back