Picking up Boat tomorrow

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason L

Reaction score
I leave tomorrow to go get my boat :)

It's a 2004 Tracker PT 185 w/ 75hp

Thanks for the advise I have received here.

Is there problems specific to the 185 that I should look out for when looking/driving the boat?

Thanks,

Jason

Congrats on the boat! And welcome to the Tin Squadron :)

So you finally pulled the trigger. Congratulations on a good choice. You should be very happy with that boat...especially when you compare your gas bill with 250 hp guys.

Let us know how you like it and post some pics.

Harpo

I will.. Assuming the boat is as described, I will have it this weekend :)

Something that new, you should not have to worry about deck/wood/transom damage, but go over it with a fine tooth comb. As ahead of time that the owner has all maintenance records ready so you know where and how it was taken care of mechanicaly. The 2004 is all welded and I believe also the non-wood transom. Check the lower unit and prop for damage. Run it fast, slow, fill all livewells, check for water at the end of the trip, make sure the boat is tilted back so any water in the bildge will flow back to the plug/hole when you pull the plug.

She's a great boat, she'll not fly but will ride good and get you in the upper 30s to 40mph is my estimate. We all want to see pics if you get it!

Hey Harpo - "compare your gas bill with 250 hp guys", its also us 115 hp guys!!! LOL I have noticed a considerable difference (read MORE GAS USAGE) from my 40 to the 115, of course part of the reason could be that I LOVE to run her, and make longer runs then I did with the 40!!! Wife doesn't like the gas bills!! LOL

You'll love it Jason and the only problem with tin is the fish that just jump in the boat.:) We'll be expecting pictures so Git er Done....

Uncle Billy

Thanks for the tips Trep.

I'm kind of hesitant to tow a boat cuz the guys at Uhaul were dumba$$es and took 6 hours to try to put the hitch on unsuccessfully on our Infiniti. Fortunately, I took it to another uhaul and it took them 30 minutes and they didn't charge me anything. (It's installed correctly now)

No probs with the 185 except you may want to seal the top cap to the sides with some silicone....water will seep in until you get on plane. did mine when I got it and has been bone dry since:cool:

You'll like the ride on that rig;)

Tee's right, you can get water through the seam between the hull and the gunwhale. I just remember to turn on the bilge pump after I been running on rough water. No biggie.

Jason, have you ever pulled a boat before? If not here's a tip that really helped me. Backing is the hardest part to get the hang of. When you're backing up remember to put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, the trailer will go the direction you turn the wheel. After a while you will get used to it and it will become second nature which way to steer while backing. Please disregard if you're an old salt.:)

Harpo

Ya, I have trailered a boat before, but its been a couple of years.

Im sure I will be a lil rusty

Good luck with the new ride. That is almost exactly the boat I am looking for. Although the new PT190 with 90 or 115 HP is nice too.:cool:

Be careful towing the boat until you get the hang of it. You will be destroyed if you back it into something or turn too fast and sideswipe something.

Please post pics once you get it home. If possible PM me with what you paid. I have found a few for sale that the owners seem to think they should get full price out of their boat. Guess they never heard of depreciation.:wacko:

JPT - with all the Tracker bashing still going on on a few sites, its nice to see owners getting good price (tough for the buyers) on Trackers. I did well on selling my 2000 PC 175, and had 2 other offers after the 4 hours of driving/delivering my boat last summer to its new owner.

Trep

From what I have seen, used Trackers are sold at a premium vs. other similar used boats. It's probably due to name recognitition and not because of quality difference. (not to say they are or aren't higher quality)

I ran into an old co-worker that I hadn't seen in about 5 years in the fishing department at Academy last night. He isn't a live and breathe fishing guy like me but he and his brother own a two-man pond boat that they use to fish for Crappie and Catfish and whatever else bites out of. I told him about my Tracker and he said, "Those are GREAT boats...those baby's never break down....that boat will last you forever...". So evidently the negitive bashing hasn't reached the ordinary everyday fisherman. I certinaly had never heard it until I start comeing here.

Harpo

The ONLY bashing that I here are from the guys with big crackin' glass that couldn't catch a fish if they tried!:lol:

Jason trailerin will be fine, just like riding a bike. It is the backing in that takes a little more practice. Hit a parking lot first before the ramp and enjoy!

Randy:D

I know Trackers still get decent pricing, but there are better quality aluminum bass boats out there. Xpress, Triton and especially G3 all make much better boats. Whenever I get serious about another boat I will be looking at those. Nothing against Tracker, but those manufacturers are a grade higher.

The trackers are decent, but I've seen much better fit and finish on boats.

Xpress I can agree with you on...G-3 I just don't see the wow factor there....and I could never own a Triton because then I would be agreeing with Glenn on at least one thing and that just wouldn't do at all.;):lol:

Harpo

The galvanized trailer is nice. Too many problems with the painted ones.:(

Mine is 15 yrs old and still holding up strong.:)

Let us know how she runs when you find out.

When I take it out of the garage this weekend I will take some pictures.

Back