Pegging sinker on T-rig

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff R.

Reaction score
I've been using toothpicks to peg my weight and have noticed that after being used for awhile the line is very chewed up where the weight is pegged and actually had my line break right at that point. I like to peg the weight mainly for weedy areas and skipping under docks. Is there a better method for pegging weights such as different shape toothpicks? I've seen the rubber strip things but can't find them anywhere and also have seen the gambler weights with the rubber core that you thread your line through with the little needle that comes with the weights. Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

I use the rubber peg-it things, i find they work pretty well. I get them at my local Dicks sporting goods. I know bass pro and northern bass supply carry them too.

i had the same problem as you with the toothpicks, thats why i went to the rubber peg-its

2 words,......"FLORIDA WEIGHTS"

(They have the built in cork screw wire...................buy those and get rid if the toothpicks and other peg-it type stuff!);)

I don't peg that often but, when I do I use the screw in Gamblers:cool:

Mac, do they make the florida rig in a non lead sinker?

In NH were i fish lead is illegal unless its part of a bait( Ie spinner bait) and we have to use a non lead sinker, i use tungesten now for pretty much everything now.

I used to use the florida rig a lot till the lead ban in NH.

Jim,

I highly recommend the Tru-tungsten brand sinkers, used with the Peg-its. I go one step further when using the Peg-it's, just to ensure I don't fray the line - I spray the Peg it with Blakemores Reel Magic before inserting it into the sinker. It provides a lubrication so you make sure you don't "burn" the line with the rubber Peg.

All the best,

Glenn

I have started using the bobber stops that you would use while crappie fishing. All you have to do is slide the knot down on the weight. Works pretty well.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere recently where Tru-Tungsten was using the screw-in type peg like the Florida Rig weights. If I could find some of those, that would be the ticket.

All the best,

Glenn

We have the new T-Rig wieghts from tru-tungsten:

TT_T-Rig.jpg

http://www.backwatersonline.com/category.cfm?Category=1422

Thanks Sim. I'm placing an order now. Best of all worlds here brothers and sisters. I don't see how it can get any better!

All the best,

Glenn

I saw a guy in our club use bb split shot, to hold his sinker in place, so far he said he's had no issue with breaking the line.

Buzz

Pro Soft-bait glue. A little dab in the back side of the sinker will hold it in place.

NoCAL

Regular old round wooden toothpicks don't bother me at all because I use Power Pro braid when I do that type of fishing.. If a piece of wood cuts that stuff them I'm building a house out of it. If I'm worm fishing with mono I'll peg with the rubber pegs or the mojo type strips of rubber and the threading tool.

Harpo

I also have the little Gremlin type you pinch above the sinker...they also work good.

Good product use them all the time

This rattling brass sinker features a rubber core that holds the sinker in position anywhere you place it -- no more pegging! Includes line threading tool.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=74301&hvarDept=100&hvarClassCode=10&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=browse&cmid=PP_P0_2&cmCat=CROSSSELL

I've never used the rubber pegs because I am afriad of line burn from friction, but I like tritonglenn's idea of spraying the peg. I'll have to try it. Currently I use wooden toothpicks.