Peacock bass!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Gross

Reaction score
My question is,,if we have all these unwanted fish migrating from places like china and the oreint in general.

How are they getting here? Iread yesterday were they found a flat head cat in a CO. stream. We have silver carp and jumping carp invading the Mississippi river in massive amounts.Believe me you wouldn't want to get hit by one of these things cruising at even 20mpg!

On the other hand or coast I should say their dealing with the snakehead .

So why can't we have an invasion of something like peacock bass ?? What would be the pros and cons of such a thing ?

Peacock bass cannot survive in water temp under 65 deg. or around that temp I read. So the northest they have migrated is into southern palm beach county..

The pros and cons are impossible to predict. Anytime a new species is introduced into an ecosystem, highly unpredictable change is the result.

Do some reading on the impact of the wolf in Yellowstone Park. What ecologists learned, first by getting rid of the wolves, then by adding them back, was that they had no grasp of the eventual repurcusions.

We need to leave these things alone, and if possible, prevent accidental changes. Natural changes over time allow the selection process to work as its supposed to.

We had peacock bass in Lake Bastrop back in the eighties, but the power plant shut down during a freeze in January, and killed em off. Too bad, they were very fun to catch.

Florida has a growing population of peacocks in the canals.

We have a large and growing population of Tilapia growing in many of the lakes here. If you gotta feed a herd, they are pretty good eating, just get all you want with a bow or spear gun.

Any of the lakes with tilapia, have giant bass in them muching away.