Pad

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
What is the pad on a boat? I here everyone talk about it, how does it affect the performance and everything?

Also my 882 right now will just about top out at 55 with two people in it. Hole shot is fine...3 or 4 seconds and I am going. I have the tempest 23 pitch that came stock on it. What should I do to get better speed out of my boat?

HMMM Mac is a PAD processor!!! I belive he makes the stay free kind!! LOL Just rubbing ya' big dog!!

Donnie

The best way i can describe it "it's the last part of the hull where the chines even out or the last part of the running surface" nearest the back of the boat not a very good description but i tried!!! Kb

Donnie,....I just had a Pad reassignment too.....not doing Medium Duty PADS anymore,..I'm doing "Saturn" Pads,...LOL

BTW-Saturn is BIGGER than Uranus.....

BJ, km is right, the pad is a fancy name for hte running surface of the hull that is in contact with the water.

As far as the speed, more info is needed, what kind of rpm are you turning? is that speed gps or on the speedo? do you know how high the motor is mounted? You should be going faster then 55 on a gps easily, i know my 882 with a 150 sure does by about 8 mph.

The RPMs are at 5200 to 5400. That is WOT, the speed is by the speedo. I haven't checked it on my gps. It seems about right though by the speedo. My friend who has a 901 does about 65 to 70 and my boat seems a lot slower than his.

BJ

Mac - So go get the Saturn frame guys to figure out how to put a folding 3rd row seat in the new Saturn van (same one as the GM/Chevy/Buick) so my wife will buy one!!!

BJ, check it by the gps, speedo's can be wrong both ways, on my 882 after i hit about 50 it reads slow sometimes going all the way down to like 40 mph. you may be going faster then you think, you friends 901 may be a bit faster but all it takes isa few mph to really pull away from someone in a drag race. also what is the condition of your prop? it is like new or dinged up?

prop is new,

what does blueprinting mean on a prop? I have heard some people say they get their props blueprinted.

BJ

Blueprinting is tuning the prop to the boats hull. They add cup and sharpen the blades and other things to tunr it to the weight, size and power of a specfic hull. Its worth every penny to have it done if you want to get the best performance form a boat. I had mine done and it works 100% better now, and i will get more when i raise the motor some more to get the rpm's back up.

Before you do anything to your setup get a good gps reading on the speed and double check the rpm, to get the speed reading make a long run and watch the gps, if it holds the same speed over a long run that it your top speed, dont just run top end for a second or two because the reading will be wrong. once you have that info i think i can help you get it setup right.

Thanks Jim B, I will try to get out sometime in the next couple of weeks with it to see what it shows.

No can do Trep,....Since I do the interior trim and seat installation drawings now for two different vehicle model lines, that could (or WOULD if approved) directly affect my work load (read "HUGE INCREASE"), and that is not an option I'd care to entertain at this point in time since I'm directly responsible for over 425 illustrations now (I had 87 two yrs ago!!).......but AFTER we have another re-org and I'm not the "Interior Trim" guy anymore,...I'll gladly pass your suggestion along!! LOL.. The other vehicle I work on is designed in the US,..Engineered in China...and built in Canada,...with parts suppliers from all over the world...it's a "global" project in it's truest form...oh and our benefits center and computer systems "HELP" desks are in India!! I'm not sure if I work for GM or the UN anymore....LOL

Seriousley,..that's a good idea if they'll fit and I'm sure it's already in the works for future vehicles if they have the consumer demand for a 3rd row seat.....My cars/vans are 2005 and beyond, so they might very well be there!! I'll look and see what's coming and let you know....

Back