Outboard during winter lay over

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
The Evinrude on my Ranger has the built in Motor Bracket so I don't use the Transom Saver.

Here's the question, Now that my boat is being stored outside, I had the motors tilted up and on the motor bracket, Today, I lowered the motor so that the skeg is almost touching the ground, I then put a piece of wood under the skeg and lowered a little more so that the skeg is resting on the wood. Is that better for the motor and boat, or should I put it back on the motor bracket on a tilted angle.

Thanks

CJL

Not sure about the motor resting on the wood, but I would definitely leave it in the vertical position. Did you drain and change the lower unit lube? You don't want any water in there that could freeze and cause problems.

Don't know about resting it on anything Chris but for sure leave it vertical over the winter. That's just in case there is any water in there that could freeze. Happy New Year to you and your family.

Hey Chris, hope things are well. I would go vertical. Besides the water issues, if you fogged it, gravity can help all that carbon and crap you don't want in there work its way down to the exhaust. I don't see how the wood could hurt, though I doubt your going to stress your transom by having the motor and boat sitting still.

Happy New Year! :D

Chris, store it vertical and don't forget to pull your batts. We need to get together and fish Spurce early this spring.

Happy New Year

CJ

UH OH!!

I never fogged my engine, kind of lost track with the house sale and such, my buddy has not fogged his OB in like 5 years and never had any trouble.

Umm, I never pulled the batts either, I'm kinda nervous on that one, but I have them on the guest charger constaantly, I replacing them in the spring, just have no where to put them right now since we are moving soon. Hopefully they don't freeze, explode and ruin my boat.

I did some research on this board and read that some people in the great North never pull the batts all winter, IS THIS OKAY :unsure:, or should I oull them.

CJ, I can't wait for SPRING, and look forward to fishing with you again. Love Spruce Run.

Did I tell you that the week after we fished Spruce, I had a Tourney on there and got 2nd place?

This coming Spring there will be a NJ Bass Anglers get-together on Spruce for a non-money paper Tourney and BBQ, I could use a partner, let me know if your interested. It's a "just for fun" Tourney.

CJL

CJL:

I didn't "fog" my XR6 either - though I must admit, I had never heard of it before joining this website.

There's a good article somewhere in here (this site) about winterizing and I have done as much as I'm technically capable or equipped to do.

We all want them "Hit" on demand in the Spring.

Just have to see - never had a boat of this quality before!

Greg

I didn't "fog" my XR6 either - though I must admit, I had never heard of it before joining this website.

I wouldn't fog mine either with highs in the 60's and 70's upcoming this week YOU DOG!!! :lol:

Signed,

freezing in PA :(

Back