On board charger plug

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gene B

Reaction score
Where's the best location to install the charger plug I got from Sue D. from Guest. I am thinking beside the rear nav light socket, or through the deck.

Gene

I can't recommend a specific place but just be sure of where you are drilling.

When I mounted my flush mount rod holders next to the nav light socket, I found out that I almost drilled right into my water line to the pressure gage, my transducer cable and the power lines to the nav light itself.

So just be very careful and spend a lot of time with your head in bilge area looking for potential hazards before you drill.

I've installed two. Both I put into the gunwhales (sp?) on the left side of the boat about half-way between the back of the seats and the transom.

me!

Most definately. As an electrician I always look before I drill. I Learned that one the hard way!

Gene

let me know where you guys put the plug, I'm going to be doing one this week also. Thanks.Kevin

Suggestion:

Don't put it in the very rear area.....

If water comes over the transom when you shut down climb in and out of the boat, etc, it could get in the plug and corrode the wiring and contacts or cause shorts.

This may be a stupid question but, like I always say there is no such thing as a stupid question, there are just questions asked by stupid people.

Why couldn't you plug your charger into the trolling motor plug? It is connected directly to the batteries. Would there be too much power loss from the battery cables?

Harpo

I voiced my concern to Sue about drilling my hull on the 929 even though I loved the plug. Her response was to cut the plug end of the charger, run extension wires through the hull to the front of the boat and mount the plug in the front panel next to the TM plug socket. FWIW. I cannot run it out the back where the fuel/oil lines are wrapped because my boat comes off plane hard and I really don't care. You could surf the waves I put out when the big girl sits down in the pool!! That's why I have that fancy draining splashwell. CIII claims he has seen backwash come over my 225 though...LOL!!!

TOXIC

Ok, another dumb question. I didn't put the nice plug Sue sent with mine because all I have to do is pop open the rear box where the charger is mounted and plug the extension cord into the end of the charger line. Close the box lid and pull my cover back down.

My point, if charging can be done this way, keeping the box lid closed and locked what is the added value in putting a hole in the boat?

Cass :)

None, Cass.

But on a bass boat, the rear hatch, where the batteries and charger are, cannot be closed and locked if there is a cord running out the openning. So if a bass boat owner wants to charge up while tied up at a dock, they need an external plug-in.

me!

Cass, I do the same thing but either the extension cord or the charger cord will get squeezed in the lid of the rear compartment. Squeezed enough times somethings gonna break. My big rear hatch door does not lock so that is not a concern, damage to the cord(s) is. It is also a cleaner look..."built in" looking when through the hull. A perko lock is not gonna keep anybody out of your boat anyway so I usually only lock when I trailer overnight. Why have them damage the boat any more to get at the stuff (I take it in the room with me when on the road). Lock-r-bars are only marginally more effective (read: more damage to the boat when they decide to break in). Locks on boats only serve to keep an honest man honest!!

TOXIC

Ahh, so it can be done and it's not just a Bass boat thing. I was just looking at the compartments and they all look simular in make so I was wondering why a bass boat would be so different, guess it's not. Thanks Tox :)

Cass

Harpo, I did just what you are saying on my old boat. I made up a pigtail to put into the trolling motor plug and hooked my charger up to that. It showed everything was charging and I was truly happy:) I then went, luckily, to a small lake when I discovered the trolling motor battery was NOT fully charged and it died. I was all the way at the end of the lake from the ramp. I said, "oh well, I'll start the big motor and go back".. Nope! That battery was dead also. I paddled and fished all the way back. Took me almost four hours. I passed three other boats that didn't even look in my direction while I moaned and groaned when I went, very closely, by them.

I don't know what I did wrong but since then I charge each battery separately:)

As an aside, I did SO want to flatten the tires of the three rigs parked at the ramp but my big brother wouldn't let me:)

Bill

Awwww Bill be honest, you woulda never done that anyway!! And BTW....you can't paddle a 929!!LOL!! Didn't you have the emergency rope pull for your flywheel? I always keep mine in the boat (originally it was attached to the underside of my cowling) but there is some doubt as to whether or not you can pull start a 225. That and the fact that there has to be enough juice to run the computer or it still wont start.

TOXIC

Has anyone ever tried to start their 6-cylinder outboard with the pull cord? Don't know if I could do it.....

The trolling motor plug idea would only work with an external charger. The idea of running the power cord for the on-board charger to the front, next to the trolling motor plug is a good one. I may even look into mounting it under the passenger side console where it would be easy to access and hidden from sight.

Gene

Of course charging from the TM plug would only work for a single bank charger but how easy that would be to just rig up a TM plug on the charger, plug it in and go sit down. Could probably tap in to the battery cables from the front of the boat with the AC 110 recptical coming out the side of the rod locker or something like that.

Harpo

My plug is run out of the wire bundle on the back of the boat. Looks like a little pigtail hanging out there. It is also covered by the boat cover when it is on the boat.

Carlos

A place for tin boats
plug-1.jpg

Back