Oil Cleanup on Concrete

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Kern

Reaction score
Has anyone had any past experience cleaning oil stains from concrete? Let me know your recommendations.

Kevin

Cat litter. Followed by a spray down with a degreaser like Castrol Super Clean, and then a final pressure wash.

All the best,

Glenn

I've also found that powdered laundry detergent works well. Its good to get spills as soon as possible and to let the powdered detergent (or cat litter) some time to soak up what oil it can. Sometimes a scrub with a bit of water and a stiff push broom type brush can help. Then use a chemical degreaser and the pressure wash. Realize that concrete is porous so you may not get all of it up completely. There likely will always be a bit of a stain.

Ask someone with an older Harley Davidson... they are always "marking their territory". :lol:

Or... I could just walk across the street and ask my idiot neighbor who would rather spend $20 a month "refilling" his oil leaking P.O.S. ElCamino than actually getting the leak fixed. Well... maybe not. Looking at his driveway and the street in front of his house, he probably doesn't have a clue how to remove oil stains. :rolleyes::lol:

BTW... what are you trying to do?

All the best,

Glenn

At my shop we use a product called "Greasweep". It is now no longer allowed here in California, luckly we still have a dozen bags hidden, but might still be available in other states. It is made from rice hull ashes with a bleaching agent. We first mop the mess with good old fashioned paint thinner and then sweep the Greasweep over to soak up the thinner. After about 10 minutes the area looks like clean white concrete again. The Greasweep can then be saved and used over and over untill it just won't dry any more. The thinner evaporates from the Greasweep so it will dry more messes up.

All good remedies. If it has set too long you may ne muriatic acid to clean it completely. But beware, the stuff is dangerous and it will leave the stain cleaner than the surrounding concrete.

Mini

Thanks everyone! tritonglenn-I spilled some oil on my driveway when doing a routine oil change.

Latest posts

Back