NX882 questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Prater

Reaction score
Hello I just picked up a 2001 nx882 friday new to fiberglass boats and have a few questions. This boat is a 2001 and its got a 99 120hp force on it will it be underpowered? This boat also has a depth finder but I cannot find the transducer sticking out of the back of the boat ? Is it inside the hull somewere? what should my speed be with this boat pushing a 120 ?

Kyle,

I owned a 2001 nx882 with a 150 optimax and it was underpowered.

Yes you will be extremly underpowered, That hull is rated for a 175 and it needs all of those 175 hp to run that boat. The hull is heavy, it is a great little boat but Nitro should have allowed for a 200 hp to get that heavy hull preforming properly.

Why would someone put a 120 Force on that boat? In 2001 Nitro's were running Optimax and Merc EFI exclusively I would be very wary, It just will not perform like a high performance boat with that motor.

I would do some more shopping around

Mark

Kyle,

the transducer is most likely located in the bilge. remove the plastic cover plate in the battrie compartment. down in the hole you will find your live well pumps and bilge pump. glued to the hull should be the transducer.

as far as a 120hp, it will be very under powered. i ran a four stroke 115efi for 3 yrs on mine. it was a dog out of the hole. i spent a lot of time and money to get it to perform to a satifactry level. luckely for me it died on its last year of warrenty.

i currently run a 135 opti. still can be a tough hole shot with full wells. but it is a huge differanc eover the 115.

as far as speed? never fill your fuel tank, because it will most likely not get up on plane without you buddy standing on the deck.

i was running in the high 40s to 50 with the 115 and a ballanced prop.

all in all it is a great boat, good luck with it..

GregD

Only thing i can come up with is that they blew the orginal motor and found a 120 for it . Im afraid it will be underpowered but got a great deal on it . Im not sure if I will be keeping this boat or not but its also my first fiberglass boat and for the money I couldnt resist it . Will a hydrofin help it plane better since its underpowered?

I have a NX882DC with a 150 XR6. Hole shot with me, half tank fuel, and empty wells is pretty good. The last gps run I made showed 60mph on the button over 3 miles in moderate chop. Now throw in a buddy, full wells, and 3/4 to full tank it is a bit of a hole shot pig, but will get up on plane and move fast enough to get me where I want to go.

Too bad you couldn't have took it to the lake for a run before you purchased. Hopefully you got a sweet enough deal to allow you to move into another boat if this one doesn't perform or look at a repower to a 150 or better.

its very clean and yes I wish I could of but the part of the gamble being a car dealer I get lucky sometimes I dont didint relize it was a 99 motor till i got home

if you ask 10 people you will get 10 differant answers.

so here is mine, you can look into a foil. i would recomend the HE sport.

i did use one on my 115 and it did make a differance. but don't expect a night and day differance. maybe night and early mornning....

the best thing is to get it out on the water and experiment a bit. try running with the lightest load as possible. little fuel and no passenger. fill the live wells and see how much of a differance it makes. you can figure 1 passenger is close to full live wells.

it will never be a speed demond with the current power, but it may enough to get out and catch plenty of fish..

GregD

not looking for a speed demon this being my first fibergalss boat I will move up to bigger boat when i get used to this one . I will look into a hydrofoil and like i said if i dont like it ebay here it comes rough value is 9800 if i can get 7900 out of it ill be happy

Very mis-matched hull and motor.

Anything under a 150 on a 882 is less than satisfying. 7,900 would be sold to someone without a clue ticket.

What would you think the value of this boat would be Pat ? I looked nada up and its got 10 grand 2100 under book value and you could swap motor out and sell the other one . What would you think the value of a very clean boat would be ?

Latest posts

Back