Non-boater Etiquette

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Cohoon2

Reaction score
Well kids are finally old enough for daddy to venture out fishing again alone. I do love fishing with them but anyone who has knows they fish you gopher. anyway easiest way is to join a club as a non-boater. Sold my Nitro a couple of years ago. What are some things I should know as proper/expected etiquette. Will attend the first meeting ans sign up, March 2. First Tourny I think is in May, oh yea never fished a tourny either.

Hi Rick,

1. Offer with some of the costs but I am sure the club will have rules governing this.

2. Make sure to contact the boater prior to the tournament to see if he/she has a predisposed pattern in mind.

3. Know the club rules.

4. Know if you have half time in the front of the boat to not be standoffish about taking it. I know I didn't have a problem with this.

5. Clean up after yourself and not leave a mess.

6. Practice backing a trailer before the first tournament.

Not all but a good start.

Randy!

I have fished as a non-boater and as a boater, here are some rules I

have picked up:

1. Be early, not on time.

2. If you can back-up a trailer, ask the boater if they would like you

to back them into the water. If they allow you to, and this is very important,

DO NOT DROP THEIR KEYS INTO THE WATER!!! Too long of a story to get into.

3. Offer gas money to the boater, this is much appreciated.

4. Bring enough equipment to fish, but don't bring your whole arsenal. Boat space

is a premium and if the boater is always tripping over your stuff....NOT good.

5. Bring food and drinks to get you through 8 hours, if it is 8 hours, some

clubs are shorter.

6. Again, boat space is a premium, do not bring your whole refridgerator.

7. Even if you are not catching fish, keep a positive attitude. Most boaters are

gonna want you to catch fish, it makes them look good.

8. Don't be a know it all, even if you are. If the boater asks you for suggestions

on where to go, tell them. If they do not, chances are they are a know it all and

they will not appreciate any suggestions. In that case, some clever tact will be

needed on how to make a suggestion.

9. Be prepared; sunscreen, raincoat, fish culls, equipment, etc.

10. If you don't like standing for long periods of time and you know who you'll be

fishing with before the day of the tournament, you may want to ask the boater if they

can bring the seat for the back of the boat.

11. Finally, HAVE FUN!!!

I'm sure I've missed a lot, but other people will add to this list!

KW

I have been on both sides of it as a boater and non-boater. As a boater i have had both good and bad non-boaters, just the same as a non-boater i have had both good and bad boaters.

For me whhat i do depends on the situtation.

If im fishing in a blind draw I always offer up some money for fuel, the amount varies unless its pre determined but the tournament rules. I also ask if the boater if he needs me to bring anything that he may be missing or needs any food or drinks. I also try not to bring too much stuff, as mentioned before but bring the essential gear. If you have a chance to talk pre tournament find out how he likes to fish and gear up acordingly. If the guy likes to flip timber your not going to have a very good time if your geared for crankbaits in open water. I have had both good and bad boaters fishing these types of tournaments. Some guys just seem annoyed that they have a guy in thier boat(they take it way too serious IMHO) and thats fine, I just make the most of it and try to have fun.

In my club its a entirely different thing. My club is pretty small and we dont take things too serious. We are serious about or fishing for sure but we are all friends and we just want to have a good time. When we do draw tournaments if i go as a non-boater i generally always offer up some money for gas but the guys in my club never take it. I always bring lunch for both myself and whomever im with and i let them know before hand that im doing it. Again i try not to bring too much stuff.

As a boater i have a small list of pet peeves when it comes to non-boaters.

#1 Too much stuff. I cant tell you how many guys show up with 70# of tackle and 12 rods. My opinion theres no need for that.

#2 Smoking. Now i dont care if someone smokes but do it neatly. I dont want ashes all over my carpet or burn marks on it either. I actualyl had a guy once that was flicking his cigarettes on the rug like it was his own personal ash tray. I asked him somewhat nicely once to not do it again. He did and from there It was no more smoking for him. He got all mad saying it was his right to smoke blah blah blah. Well i dont care, my boat my rules period. If he didnt like it have a nice swim back. I told him if he lit up again i was tossing him in the water. I dont think i have ever been as mad on the water as i was that day. Ever since then i lay down the law pretty quick on that one.

#3 Neatness. Some guys like to treat other peoples boat like thier own personal trash can. I hate that, if its not yours treat it as such and clean up after yourself.

#4 Not coming prepared. Now when i say being prepared i dont mean lures and rods. Im talking about things like raingear, sunscreen, drinks etc. I have had guys in the past that brought nothing for foul weather. Now its not really my problem per-se but i feel like a jerk putting on my rain gear when the weather gets nasty if the other guy didnt bring his. I generally always have a second set but if i didnt i would feel really bad about someone getting soaked.

All of the above are great points. I have been a boater in a club for 5 years now and the most annoying thing I have encountered is someone bringing entirely too much crap. I make sure now to tell people to only bring what they can store in the rear compartments or fit under the console so we can keep the floor clean to move around. The 2nd most irritating thing is smokers not watching out for their ashes! I don't mind someone smoking but don't want to have my boat carpet burned either. Last thing is be prepared to split the fuel costs too. Don't show up without cash and then want to offer an IOU :wacko: Dragging a boat to the lake and back and running all over the lake burns quite a bit of fuel.

I tell my backseaters they have one storage bin in back, underneath the passenger console and the back deck. Kick stuff overboard, but we won't spend a lot time trying to recover it. Stack it 6 feet high if you like, but I better be able to drive and have unobstructed path from my seat to the front deck; plus, I must have access to my rear deck storage bin and the livewell.

I don't ever take money and I don't get upset if it's not offered. It has been my experience that the back of the boat goes wherever the front goes, backseater or not. Some folks see it differently, good manners for one example, or looking for a way to reduce personal fishing expenses as another. Best not to upset the folks-offer.

Thanks guys, nothing new.

Trailer backing is not a problem. Will keep the stuff down, and bring the odd items. And while the back of a boat always follows the front passenger or not, I agree at least offering gas money is the right thing to do. Now it is time to clean off and restring the reels. Four year old line living in a dry basement is probaly not the best stuff to use. And MAC I think the two (2) rods you cartoon for me are still the best of the bunch so they will be at least two of what I carry.

remember that I said I don't ask for, expect or take $$$ because the back follows the front. That is my logic re: $$$ and riding in my boat. It is not good logic to follow for avoiding sharing the cost.

Latest posts

Back