No-boater Gear

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Cohoon2

Reaction score
OK in a couple of weeks May 3, 2009 I venture into the realm of non-boater tourny fishing. Have my tackel witteled down to about four 3700 and two 3600 that fit nicely in a bag. Have rigged four rods, one spinning with 6lbs, 6'2" baitcaster with 8lbs, 6'6" baitcaster with 10lbs and a 7' with 12lbs. Other gear, sospenders, rain gear, knife, pliers and stuff nicely packed. Spent three weeks figuring out what to bring and think I did good. Now for the how and what. Should I match the boater if he is catching, or try something differant. Do I fish middle boat back or can I cast more forward. And what would you rig to start, want to be as ready as possible becasue retying is tough. Eye sight aint so good with one eye and no depth preception so threading them little bitty holes is fun.

Tournament etiquite is to not cast past the back 1/2 of the boat. Sounds like you are rigged up just fine. You will be limited to fishing "used" or probably not as productive water depending on the attitude of your pro. Be ready for anything but let me give you a little tip.....The shakeyhead is your best friend!!:lol:

TOXIC

A lot depends on the boater. I have been back boated by the best, but I have also fished with guys like Woo Davies, Zell Rolland, Chris Lane and Scott Rook who suggested what I should fish and where when they were catching fish and I was not (by trying to fish something other than what they were using). I even had one Pro on the Elite tour point to a lilly pad in front of the boat and duck so I could cast in front of him. Yep there was a fish there and I bagged it. You we see the best and the worst from the back of the boat. But you will have a lot to do with there attitude also. Be polite, be ready to move when they say move and have a great time.

BF

I just fished my first state tournament as a non boater. My boater front ended me almost all day long...He caught his limit by 9:30am so I thought that I would get some time up front...NOT...It was my first big tournament so I just wanted to have fun and learn which I did...I learned a lot..Go have fun

Shakeyhead??? Never heard of it, but then I have been outa bass fishing since I sold my boat four years ago. What is it and how do you fish it. Is it a good prospecting lure?

Latest posts

Back