Nitro 929cdx

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kacee Black

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 01 929cdx dual console-w-05 225xs,I'm trying to get this setup but it just ain't doing right--how fast should this rig be going,I'm running a 25p trophy and only getting about 56-57mph,I know this is a heavy boat but shouldn't it be getting up in the upper 60's???? Moved the jackplate and still not right-no hole shot or top end,,,,,I need some help,any suggestion's?

I ran had a 2000 929 with a 225 EFI and I was running a 27 pitch trophy and getting 68 gps with a full load. I would defintly say you need more pitch.

HP

I am running a 2004 929 with a 2006 225 opti and fully loaded i run about 62 with a 25P Tempest. My prop is in serious need of work and when i bought this boat it had a 2004 power head and would run 72 with 2 people and no fishing gear. Ever since i replaced the powerhead it has never hit the rev limiter (i think the merc guy detuned it to 5400 rpm max). So try a tempest and i bet u get up into the mid 60's at the very least. Oh yea i fun with one small plug....one large plug and one hole unplugged in the prop.

Thanks guys,one more thing is it a nitro thing or what but my boat will not trim up past have way,I was told it was a saftey feature to fkeep it from being trim up to far and popping the motor,I've owned 3 previous Procraft boats and a Ranger and nether one did this,are there a way to bypass it,I feel like if it would come up alittle farther it would run better? Just my thoughts,and I will try the largsr prop and see what happens!

Never heard of that. My 225 opti will trim up all the way to the end of the trim rods. Now that u mention the trim thing i think that is your problem. That last half of the trim angle is where u get the last 7 to 10 mph. Half way up on my trim and i can run no faster than about 52 or 53.

Ok,how do I fix this,had two guys tell me it was made to do that????????????? I've never heard of this either,so what do I do??Its starting to really wizz me off!

Your trim will only go so far (to the end) while running. when you slow down the TILT takes over after trim and you can lift the motor out of the water while it is running at idle. I dont care what your gauge says as they can be adjusted.

There is a big difference between trim and tilt.

You have a problem somewhere, I've had two 929's with 225 opti's and both ran in the upper 60's with a 25" Tempest plus. The tempest gave me a better holeshot and more top end than the Trophy.

First question, what are your top end rpm's and your engine height(should be about 3-3 1/2" below pad).

I'm guessing this is your situation with a visual indicator. Your trim gauge will not read past 1/2 while running on pad. That is fully trimmed. Between there and bottomed out to the left is your degree of trim to read visually. If not a perception issue, you could have a trim pump that's bypassing or shot. (Try bleeding first.) The Trophy may be blowing out (cavitating - if Plus, get plugs and adjust) or your hub may be chewed (Flo-Torq) or spun (rubber pressed in) allowing slip and loss of bite. Put it in gear with key off/out and kill switch pulled, then go around to the prop and turn it by hand in a RH (clockwise) rotation. If there's movement of the prop past the engine cylinder load, it's spun. Try to focus on the prop shaft while turning to use it as an indicator of slip. If toasted, get a new hub and go. Good luck! ;)

One other thing, I agree with Velcro that a 25P Tempest performed best on the several 929's I had. Spending a couple hundred for the B&B was well worth it for that hull. You should get high 60's with that Trophy and 70+ strong with the Tempest B&B'd.

Ok,I know its not the hub or the shaft--just had a new lower unit put on it,I'll check the trim pump cause it just don't FEEL like its triming all the way out! Where can I gat the Tempest B&B'd prop? What do they run (price wise) at this point I don't care what I got to do,done got to much $$$$$ invested in it to trade it off,THANKS guys!

B&B is balanced and blueprinted, a shop will basically take your prop and make sure it is perfectly matched on all the blades.

You should be turning 5600-5700 rpms WOT, if not we can start narrowing it down quickly from there. Don't worry to much, it will probably turn out to be something simple.

I'm running a 25p trophy and only getting about 56-57mph

Before I start spending $400-$600 on a new wheel that's been Balanced & Blueprinted, I'd find out what mechanical dilemma is causing the quoted phrase from your earlier post. And tell me how a L/U replacement verified the prop hub integrity or did you specifically do that or ask the tech to make sure it's good? (Never questioned the shaft, just mentioned it as a sight reference when checking the hub.) What top RPM's are you running?

Ok,when I had the L/U put on my mech. check it and said there wasn't any problems with it! WOT I'm turning 5600-5700----if the tach is right-it does bounce up and down while running(don't ask,cause I haven't a clue why)!!! When I got the boat the motor was 6"below pad,I moved it up to 2 7/8" it run better but would hit the rev limiter,so now its right at 3" to 3 1/4" has kinda good hole shot but runs like we been talking about!So I'm lost,you guys are helping out ALOT,maybe I can get it figured out! THANKS agin guys

Okay...Check the leads on the back of your tach and at the powerhead to get a tach reading. (Or if you have an extra tach or test tach, just clip it on so you can verify your WOT RPM's.) If your engine RPM'S are accurate and your prop is true, then there must be either a sincere drag issue.... or... what L/U is on there? You said you had it replaced. Can you check the gear ratio on your receipt or call your tech? (I'm reaching here.) Your problem boils down to one or more of two things; prop RPM's and drag/trim. Past that, you should have your tech do a lake test with you and verify on the DDT. Good luck! ;)

Thanks Dan,I'm calling him as we speak,let ya know what I find out!

Ok,the lower unit has the 1.75 gear ratio,is that good/bad? Buddy of mine has a stock Tempest plus 25p,that I'm going to run,hope the prop is the only problem!!

1.75:1 is correct for that head. Don't know what else to say. :unsure: If your prop/hub is true and your RPM's are accurate (5600-5700) you should be in the upper 60's MPH with that hull, both theoretically and in application. Let us know what you find out. Good luck! ;)

Back