Nitro 911 gas fumes in compartments

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Martin

Reaction score
What is the cause of gas fumes in the compartments of the boat.

I have bought 2 tracker boats and have had this same problem with both

I have had it to 2 seperate dealers and they can not find the problem

i think its the plastic gas tank. My 882 has a slight smell although it seems confined to the tank area. My champion had gas smell too mainly in the rod lockers, the tank was under the seat in that one. My buddy's triton is especially bad miainly in the rod lockers. his is so bad if he leaves any gear in the boat it all smells like gas after a week or so. It's not leaking, just the smell.

The only way it can smell is if it is leaking. If you can smell it, they are fumes. Check every clamp and certainly DO NOT LIGHT A MATCH!!!!

VERY DANGEROUS.....

As stated check the fuel bulb. Also check the return line to the fuel filler at the fuel filler.

Mini

Make sure you aren't confusing this with the vent.....of course you gotta know for sure what this is.

Note most newer boats no longer have those big chrome "vents" - one mounted facing forward, the other facing aft. Most newer boats also have the new "vented" gas caps - the vent is in the gas tank line.

Triton boats were bad for this a few years back. Some newer ones still have the smell, but most alleviated it by installing small vents in the floor area, just above the drains on both sides. I know mine doesn't get it, unless I have a completely full to the top fuel tank, and leave my cover on my boat in very hot weather. Even then, just trailering to the body of water gets rid of the smell completely.

All the best,

Glenn

Back