Nitro 901 questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J B

Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a 901-DC and have a few questions:

- I'll probably go with the 200 Opti. Should I even consider the 200xr6 or 150xr6?

- Is the standard 70lb trolling motor strong enough?

- Should I get the hotfoot and wheel trim?

- Should I consider upgrading the trailer to tandem-axle? If so, why?

- What size/brand SS prop should I get it with?

- What is the minimum package length, with motor down and swing-away tongue?

- About how long can I expect to wait for a factory order?

Thanks.

1. No

2. No, get the #82

3. Yes

4. Depends on how far your trailer, your vehicle and do you have to move your boat around by hand in your garage.

5. 24 Tempest

6. listed in your brochure under package length

7. 8 weeks

- I'll probably go with the 200 Opti. Should I even consider the 200xr6 or 150xr6?

YES - GET THE OPTIMAX - IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY.

- Is the standard 70lb trolling motor strong enough?

I WOULD RECOMMEND UPGRADING TO THE MK MAXXUM 74 - BUT I PREFER MINNKOTA OVER MG.

- Should I get the hotfoot and wheel trim?

I WOULD, YOU WILL APPRECIATE HAVING BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL.

- Should I consider upgrading the trailer to tandem-axle? If so, why?

DEPENDS ON YOU. IF YOU HAVE TO GET INTO A TIGHT SPOT FOR STORAGE AND MANUEVER IT AROUND BY HAND, YOU MAY PREFER THE SINGLE AXLE.

- What size/brand SS prop should I get it with?

25PITCH TEMPEST PLUS

- What is the minimum package length, with motor down and swing-away tongue?

I BELIEVE WITH THE OPTIMAX IT IS JUST A HAIR UNDER 22' 8"

- About how long can I expect to wait for a factory order?

8 WEEKS

Man, you guys are great. Thanks for all the input.

I saw that the package length was 22'8", but I was not sure if that was with the tongue retracted. Looks like I may have to store it elsewhere as my garage is only 21'.

Pat, Too bad that Tracker doesn't have you on a consulting contract, we know you are selling another boat brand now and I would be willing to bet that you have contributed to more sales of Nitros and Trackers via this board in three months then the average sales person does in a year.

Cass

I have an '04 901 with the 200HP Opti - I don't think you would be happy with the 150, I upgraded to the 78# TE MG trolling motor and think it is plenty strong enough. I have the hotfoot but not the wheel trim and have no complaints there. Tandem axle trailer makes this rig a very stable tow even on less than desirable roads, good investment in my opinion. Prop is 25P Tempest. My wait was 6 weeks from order to delivery.

Cass,

I just like people to be informed.

Yes I sell Champion and Bass Cats, but I've still got friends here, and I'll still help anyone get their rigs setup right.

The one thing that makes me a little nuts is the lack of or the dis information that can get laid on some poor guy who's just trying to go fishing.

Just because you read something on some boat internet board somewhere does not mean it's fact. And if someone is being assisted by recommended company, then you need to get other opinions. There are few, dang few "best evers" and even fewer "worst evers" so when you read those statements, your guard should be up quick.

I have an '04 901 DC like Woody. My 2 cents: The 200 opti is worth it. I stuck with the standard trolling motor and haven't ran into a situation where I needed more than it provided. Got the hotfoot but not the wheel trim and I like it. If you go with the hotfoot make sure it's mounted in a comfortable location for you. Long runs can be a hassle if it's not placed right. Chose a tandem trailer because my wife backs sometimes and it doesn't over respond to turning the wheel the wrong way a little bit. It's "less than expert backer" friendly. My wait was 11 weeks but the boat was ready in 7. Hold up for me was because of a problem manufacturing the galvanized trailer I ordered.

Steve

Back