Nitro 882 & 200 Merc

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bass

Reaction score
This is my setup when I get my boat a 882 and 200 Merc EFi. Will the transom hold up to the bigger engine & more power form the 200. It is rated for a 175 Opti but a 200 Merc ELPTO weights less than the Opti 175 and the 200 EFi is bout 50 pounds heavier than the Opti. I'm going for the 200 because Windhoek in Namibia is 4600ft above sea level and you lose 25% power so I get the same power as a 150. Will the extra 50 pounds make a difference on the transom or must I go for the old 200 ELPTO motor.

You will not be able to purchase that setup from a dealer

Max HP. for the 882 is 175 period. Now suppose you buy the boat and motor seperate and do it yourself, you are taking a huge risk for insurnace reasons should you ever have an incident. The insurance compnay will not back you since you were over the max rating for that hull.

Bottom line, they put the max persons, weight and HP on those boats for a reason!! DO NOT TRY TO GET AROUND IT!! The consquences far outweigh the little gain you get.

My two cents a 882 owner as well

Mark

Mark, you missed his earlier posts! He lives in Namibia. The lucky son-of-a-gun can get away with it over there! No Regulations!

Dont forget that the warranty will be completly void on the boat.

I would think at a high elevation the 175 opti would be a good choice. The fuel injection should compensate for the altitude.

I wonder what it would cost to ship an 882 back to the factory (and then back to Namibia again) to have the factory do repair work..........

:)

"Putting more motor on your boat does not make you a criminal, or even a communist"

No but it does make you one fast communist/criminal!!!!

OK i am a dork and missed where he is posting from but will Nitro/tracker still honor any warranty problems?? That I seriuously doubt. YES Tracker way underpowers there boats we all know that. I have checked with several other folks and the difference between a 175 opti and a 150 (which I have) would be very minimal on the 882 it is a heavy boat Fishes GREAT fast NO! not compared to other boats in it's same class. The storage is fine the wide beam is great and the fishing platform is awesome!!

A 200 might make that thing a rocket!!! which would be cool!!

Mark

Mark when you say the 882 isnt fast comepared to other boats in its class what boats are you talking about? for an 18 footer i find my 882 to be plenty fast. I have raced plenty of other 18 footers with 150's on them and i have only lost once and that was to a guy in my club that has one of the "hot" early johnson faststrike 150's that really put out closer to 200hp then 150.

Jim,

I have to admit I am no speed demon and do not drive fast, in fact my team partner says he trusts my driving so much that he practically goes to sleep when I drive.

With that said, when I have pushed the throttle I find my 882 to be slower than a Bass Cat, Skeeter or Ranger of comparable size and motor. I have ridden in many other folks boats for many years, my boat is a heavy boat with 40 gallon gas tank, livewell, all the batteries etc. in the rear I feel it makes it more sluggish than comparable boats. But like I said my outfishes the others!!! Platform wise.

Mark

OK i'll admit a ignorance so I looked up on the web Windhoek, Namibia. WOW:

South Africa occupied the German colony of South-West Africa during World War I and administered it as a mandate until after World War II, when it annexed the territory. In 1966 the Marxist South-West Africa People's Organization (SWAPO) guerrilla group launched a war of independence for the area that was soon named Namibia, but it was not until 1988 that South Africa agreed to end its administration in accordance with a UN peace plan for the entire region. Independence came in 1990 following multi-party elections and the establishment of a constitution. President NUJOMA is currently serving his third term as president.

And Windhoek is the capital city.

Climate - desert; hot, dry; rainfall sparse and erratic.

Mr. Bass - How many lakes and what type of fish do you have??

Oh, the info came from ...
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/wa.html

Only three small dams with largemouth in. If you want to see some info on the dams go to www.namwater.com.na and look at the Friedenau, Oanob and Von Bach dams, they are the only one with bass in now, but we are relocating to the rest of the dams without fisheries knowing. I drive to South Africa 2/3 times a year to go fish there about a 1000 mile drive from Windhoek to the dams in South Africa, mostly to Cape Town to do Smallmouth fishing, got hooked on that real bad. The warranty doesn't concern me since it is to costly to ship the boat back to the factory, had to pay $4000 to get is shipped to South Africa, must still drive there (the 1000 miles) to go and pick it up in 4/5 weeks time. Just want to know if the transom will hold up to the bigger, heavier and more powerfull engine. Not afraid of the speed as they say : "Drive it like you stole it" will really like to do 75/77 mph on the gps.

Back