Nitro 189 Sport

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Noel

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a new Nitro189 Sport with 150 optimax. I want a bass boat and something to take the family out on. I was wondering about any experience with the versatility of the boat and also any must have or not necessary options. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a 189 with a 125 nd lke it real well whether I', out alone or with 6 family members

I found I didn't have any use for the pads or bimini top they have never been on my boat. If that model doesn't come standard with Hydraulic steering, it might with an Opti, but it's a must have. For me a deck extension is also another must since I use mine mostly for fishing. I upgraded the TM, added another fish finder and 3 bank Guest charger from our fellow board member Sue. I bought the charger before I had decided on the boat. Retractable trailer ties downs are an option but a very nice to have, a spare tire and breaks on the trailer, they are not standard on the model.

I don't have the NITRO F/S but did look at them and almost bought one but at the suggestion of a few NTOW board members looked at the Triton and Ranger and for $300 difference bought a Ranger 180 Reata F/S with a 150 Opti loaded with every option offered and love it. Good Luck and have fun shopping. :D

Cass

BFD,

I am waiting delivery on my 06 189 Sport as we speak. Mine has the 200 Opti-pop, and 6 inch JP. I did not go with Hydraulic steering, if you don't want to pay the money for that don't cuz you don't HAVE to have it. If you want the Bass boat performance go with the 200 instead of the 150, your dealer will have to order it seperate cuz Nitro does not offer it with the 200 as a power up option. I also got the Bimini top and pads, but I do alot of swimming on vacations ect. But it will mainly be for fishing. I also got the M56s GPS, and I'm ordering a x-125 for the bow. I will be making my own deck extension also. Go with the 24VT motor, cuz standard is a 12 Volt. I also am getting a custon rod locker installed. Any other questions let me know.

Mike and Cass made some good suggestions for the bimini top and deck extension. I plam on adding the bimini this spring and would love to see pics of how mike builds his deck extension.

JDJ

JDJ, When I get the boat and am able to take measurements, I will then order the parts and carpet, and show pics on the instal. My Dad did this on his 185 Sport for the extension, and it works great and cost about 20 bucks to do, versus the 120 dollar extension my dealer wanted me to buy.

You are right that you don't HAVE to have hydraulic steering but I guess mike must know better and I was miss informed that with bigger motors 150 & up the difference is like driving a car with and without power steering. For me it wasn't an option I had to add to my boat, it came standard as does the spare tire, trailer breaks and tie downs.

:rolleyes:

Cass

Hey BFD depending on the areas your fishing you might want to think about the galvanized trailer.Iordered one with my 288 because alot of lakes here in florida are brackish water. The painted trailers will rust out like crazy starting with the hubs.Just a lil something to think about.

Troy - Tracker/Nitro doesn't offer Gavlanized anymore, ALL of thier trailers (Trailstar) are now "Galvashield" fully galvanized and painted over the top, so nothing new or different to order its standard!

Back