Night Fishing for Bass

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Probably dragging the Nitro out in the heat tonight after work. Besides worms, what should I try for hooking bass after dark?

I haven't fished at night for a long time, but I have had some success with topwater baits. I would throw black buzz baits or black spinnerbaits and keep them high in the water.

RoyC

Zara Spooks....Tiny Torpedo's, ....Jitter Bugs,....Floating Rapala's etc..etc......and fresh undies,.....when you hear that explosion and feel the rod jerk...you will need to change yours!!

(After you land the fish of course!!) ;)

We do alot of night fishing down here and the best thing I have found is a dark (Black, or blue) spinner bait with a colorado blade. We usually slow roll them along the bottom. we pick up alot of "trash" fish (catfish and drum) but the spots and lm are there as well.

Best of luck, be careful and don't forget your black light and clear blue line for your worms.

Usually at night we put the boat in about 10-15ft of water and thru worms back toward the shoreline and slowly drag them in. With it being so hot the water temps are in the 90's. Should I fish deeper or will they still be in the shallows at night?

Mac, I usually throw topwater until I can't see anymore and then I switch to a worm. I guess I might try throwing it after dark but I didn't think I could catch them if I didn't "see" the strike. Usually they are around 12-15" so they don't make the big gorilla splashes that the hogs do. Oh how I wish I could catch a hog once in awhile.:D

A black spinnerbait with double colorado blades is one of my go-to's when its dark.

Don't forget the crankbait - especially around rocks/riprap if you have crawfish in the lake.

Let us know what worked best.

We just got back from Lake of the Ozarks and had pretty good luck night fishing. I used a jig and pig, which produced a 5 pounder and several 2 to 3 pounders. I know they say to use dark colors at night but I had the best luck with a green pumpkin jig and trailer. No rattles on the jig. The buzzbait produced quite a few as well but nowhere near the sizes the jig did. The local guys down there swear by the 10" Power Worm in black. I had some but didn't catch anything with them. Most fish we caught at night were in 6 feet of water or less. Good luck and be careful!

Teri,

Here is the local report, should remain the same as long it stays hot. I have a good buddy that fishes all the time at night on Pickwick, and they use big black spinner baits in the summer. Not a lot of bites, but they catch some really big bass and smallies this way. They have the black lights and use flourescent line to help see what is going on.

http://www.dougoutdoors.com/fishreport.htm

Latest posts

Back