NewBoat Owner has QUESTIONS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Owner

Reaction score
I am new to this group and NEW to boat Ownership. I purchased a 2002 Nitro 185 Sport with a 115 Mercury this past week. It didn't have an owners manual and I called and Nitro said the owner's manual is generic. So I hope an experience boater can answer a question or two:

1. What is the Water pressure gauge for and where should the reading be on the gauge?

2. Explain "Bilge", I think I know, but want to be sure

I really am new to boat ownership, and I want to make sure that I keep this boat in good shape by treating it right when I take it out, so I better make sure I know when something is not working right.

1) The water pressure guage is reading the water pressure going thru your impeller on your outboard motor, no pressure would be very bad and overheating would occur

2) the bildge is the lower part of your transom, it would be the first place water would collect in your boat if it were taking on water.

Thanks CJL

1. Water pressure gauge has a mid range on it. Is this where it should be? The water was cooling the engine yesterday as it was being sprayed out the side of the engine. Is there a number that the gauge should be at, during idle?

2. So the "Bilge" button is to drain this area?

During Idle, your Waterpressure will vary, but usually be around 6-8 (if you see a streem you are likely fine)

... it is most important to pay attention to that guage when you are up and running... at WOT (wide open throttle) you should see atleast 10... what happens is that as you trim up the motor to go faster, you can reach a point where the lower unit pickups are out of the water. (and you'll lose pressure fast).

Yes, the "Bilge button' is to turn on the 'Bilge Pump' to pump water out of the bilge. It's not a drain... pull the plug to drain it. (just be sure to put it back in before you launch). The bilge pump is mostly there if you take on water for some reason... the most likely time you will need it is during;/after a major rain or if you forget to put the plug in.

Did you check your JackNuts?

Hope that helps.

JackNuts, that's a joke right? (like BlinkerFluid). I have never heard of JackNuts before.

The trim gauge on the boat should be in the mid range right? When the gauge goes either direction I adjust right?

Thanks for all the advise folks

Welcome aboard. I am a Nitro 185 owner also and love it. I too do not have an owners manual but with the help of these fine folks here, all my questions have been answered.

Jeff from Ky

The trim gauge....

That tells you the level of trim your motor has.... it will, and should, change as you operate the boat. It should not 'jump around' and it should not change unless you are operating the trim itself.

Basics:

To take off and get on plane, you want to trim the motor down (tuck it under)... all the way. (the gauge will be to the far left of the dial... more or less)... once you are on plane, you will then start to 'trim up' the motor... the gauge will start to move torward the middle... if you are porposing (bouncing up and down) then you have trimmed to far up for your current speed... either trim down or apply more throttle. As you approach WOT you should be trimmed nearer to the halfway point... this is where you watch your water pressure gauge... you should see a steady 10-12 all the time... if as you trim up you see it drop, trim down a notch.

Seat time is the key for this, and for you to get the best performance out of the boat.

Where do you live? Did the dealer go over any of this with you?

(and yes, the jacknuts question is a joke...)

Newby,

Did you check out the link I posted???

Do you have any friends who are boaters that could actually take you out in your rig the first couple of times?

Learn it the right way from the beginning and you will gain so much more enjoyment from it.

A boater safety course, might be a good idea. Check with the Coast Guard Auxilary or your state game and fish dept. they can probably point you in the right direction. Also, depending on where you live some states now require you pass a boater safety course to operate a water craft.

Welcome to a great site....I have a Tracker PT 175 and I am sure you will find good info here, just ask. Good folks here that are willing to help without insult....Play with the trim and you will find the right spot by the feel and sound . I find with my boat, I trim it all the way down on "take off" and trim it up until it feels right . After a few times, you will find the right spot for your boat and load. Welcome again.....Kenny

Jacknuts are real... They might be what is keeping your trolling motor from flying off the boat... However, here (at NTOWS) "jacknuts" have an "inside joke" flavor.

We'll try to find the illustration from Mark Hoffman (I believe) of exactly what they are... They are basically blind hole nuts (now you are probably really confused)...

BTW, "blinker fluid"... that's only on Chevy Trucks... Fords don't need it cause they are way better engineered...

MO,

I have found that plain old soap and water makes a good prop wash.....maybe a little 409 for stubborn stains.

Neeley... go to your room... You are scaring the "nice" children!

I just bought my boat last year and had all the same questions. I figured them all out accept that my max RPM's was only 4500. When I took the boat for the first time the dealer tried to give me more instruction but I felt like I was stealing the boat and I better get out quick. I couldn't beleive anything this beautiful was mine. After a month or so I told him of my problem and he took me for a ride in my own boat. He showed me how to slowly trim the moter up after plane and watch the RPM untill you know what is the max RPM which also will be your max speed. Once you know these perameters you will know what your tilt gauge should read at any given stage. :)

ToolTime Tim

Back