new truck?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Zechman

Reaction score
lookin for a new truck, or possibly an suv, but not sure on that yet. Currently have an 2001 Silverado, my second. Love these trucks, but they get issues at 90K miles for some reason, and I'm there now, and the dang thing is givin me issues, so I want to here from you other guys on your opinions of other trucks/suv's that can tow good, and don't have brake issues every 10K miles, thanks,

MIke

I have a 06 Dodge 2500 Deisel I don't even know I'm towing a boat. I get around 19-20 normal driving and 16-17 towing the only down side is the price of deisel right now. Plus the Cummings will go well over a 100k and still run like a champ heck deisel's don't even break in till around 40k.

What kind of issues are you having?...My old 93 Silverado had 122k on it at trade in and I didn't have any problems with it. My 2000 GMC had 77k on it when I traded in for my current ('03 GMC Sierra Crew 4x4) and it had no "issues" either. BTW, my truck is sitting at almost 80k, and it's only issue is that the 6L engine drinks gas.

I drive a diesel with over 100k. It didn't even get broke in until almost 60k. Just made a 300 mile dash down I80 and got 18.1 @ 79.999mph

PS It looks like new.

fatrap

5 sets of brakes since new in 2001, front end steering leak(boot) 3 weeks ago, front bearing went out in the wheel and in shop now, same as my new 1998 truck, exact same things, at 90K, its gettin old, cuz I want to keep them for awhile, but I end up tradin early cuz of this crap

In my opinion it matters what and how far you are towing. If you own a big boat, you will want a V8. If it is smaller you can pull with a Trailblazer or Tahoe. If you still like your truck, it is always cheaper to fix than trade. They should go over 150K these days.

I quess I'm the only one that likes Ford. I have a 2002 F-150 super crew with the V-8 and the towing package and it runs like a charm. I've pulled boats, trailers with 4-wheelers and a large fire place without any problems. She runs great and gets good gas mileage. I've used her on long trips (Kansas City, Orlando) and she's comfortable. Hope this helps.

BArry from La. :)

Mike,...check out the new 2007 Silverado's.....they're AWESOME and they have the BEST mileage and powertrain warranty in the industry, bar none!! 100,000 mile warranty on the engine and drivetrain!! I just got a new 1500 Z71 Ext. Cab w/Short Box (Blk on blk leather) on Monday and it has the small V8 (4.8ltr) and my mileage to and from work is excellent!! I drove TrlBlzr's for years and they pulled my boats (20ft Rangers) just fine with a 4.3Ltr I-6, but this V8 is drinking less than the I-6!!. This V8 is my first one and so far I'm very pleased!!

I pick up my new boat on Monday the 14th, so that'll be the first time I tow with it. It also comes with the Tow-Haul feature for the trans (With the trlring pkg) that automatically monitors and adjusts the tranny electrinically for the optimum mileage and performance when going up and down hills,....no more engine reving & tran whining etc...there's a reason the 07 Silverado's are the "Truck of the Year"....they flat out kick booty!!:wub:

thanx guys, I'm not sayin I'm gonna leave chevy, but I am definatley look at other trucks this time around, plus my Brother works for Ford, so I could get a huge deal on a new F-150 Super Crew, but I have looked at t he new Silverados, my last 2 were Z71's(bought new in 98, and 01) and both did the same thing at the same time, and my plan is to buy a new one, pay it off in 4 years, and keep it another 6(till about 150K) but I always come up short on that goal, so I'm lookin harder this time

You know, I like Fords too, but I don't like the new plastic silver they're sticking on everything on the interior in their SUVs and Trucks. Looks fake and "showy" to me. I have been casually looking and although I love the exterior, that interior turns me off.

Hmmmmmmm...5 sets of brakes ?:wacko:

Egads!

Sumin' ain't right foe sure...

I have had GM's all my life and never had brake problems like that.

How about just doing a brake upgrade kit and drive it for another 100K ?

Bearings are bearings and can wear out at anytime, anywhere and on any vehicle or trailer for that matter!

Mac, how come you didnt get the 5.3l? i believe they get the exact same milage as the 4.8( at least on my 06 they did) but with a good bit more torque. I couldnt be more pleaeed with the milage my 06 gets. I love those new 07's the interior on the ltz is flat out awesome. I want one but i wont be getting one for a while :(

Jim,..I got mine out of the "exec pool"....there were only 5 available and mine was available immediately and the other 4 wouldn't be available until mid-summer. I didn't want to wait that long, and take a chance on not getting ANY of them so I took it. It had all the options I wanted anyway and I was really stoked about the Black on Black...so I took it!! I don't put that many miles a year on it towing anyway...so the 4.8 should be fine......especially since I drive it to work and back now and I'm getting excellent mileage with it. My wife drives the Monte Carlo which I "was" driving until I got this one...ahahahahha.......she likes the truck too...she loves sitting up high and it rides and handles like a car,...so when / if gas hit's $4.00/gal she won't have a problem "trading" vehicles with me Mon-Fri.....but on Sat & Sun...the truck is MINE and i'm GONE FISHIN'!! LOL It works all the way around...I get the bedliner installed today at 4pm and I'll buy the tonneau cover tomorrow.....;)

I would've really liked the 5.3 but there wasn't one availabe "now" in the pool.:cool:

I get such a HUGE discount on the "pool vehicles" that it's well worth the effort to get one...and that extra $$ off is in ADDITION to our regular discount and any other rebates etc...

For an employee,..it's stupid to NOT get one...but supply is limited and demand is HIGH. so there's a good bit of luck involved to get one......i deffinitely got LUCKY!!:wub:

Hey Mac...I'm havin' a hard time finding any GMC's (or Chevy's for that matter) w/5.3 SCSB...they quit makin' em ?:huh:

Barry

My truck is a ford. I like em all. Dad has a Dodge, my brother a Chevy, me a ford. If it works for you it good.

fatrap

well when it costs 1k to fix bearings(that was the cheapest) this sucks ya know? I know people with older chevys, fords that had 180K on them and no bearing issues, as far as the breaks the dude that works on my truck(not a dealer) tells me these trucks are known for rod damage under 100K miles and bad brakes, 5 sets f brakes on this one, and had 4 sets bad on my 98 too,:eek:, the dealers and the regular auto mechanic guys say this ain't nothing new, some are horrible some are fine, I just hate payin that kind of Jack for a new one, and 6 years later I goota dump it cuz of the money I'm puttin in it, great replies here guys, thanx!

What kind of milage is the 4.8 geting for you Mac? just curious to see if its any better then my 5.3. I get 15.5 city and 21 freeway, its quite good for a big 4wd truck. what kind of tonneau are you getting? I put an extang full tilt soft cover on mine. Its my second full tilt cover and i really like it alot. Being able to remove the tarp without having to unsnap it in the winter is a huge bonus. Jsut tilt the fram up and off is all it takes. I got mine at http://www.truckaddons.com/ they had the best price i could find and free shipping.

Jim,..deffinitely getting a soft top.....don't know if I want a snap or a velcro...don't want to spend a lot 'cuz this is a lease, and I'll only have it 2yrs!! I've heard pro's and cons on both snaps and velcro, but I'm leaning towards snaps. BPS has one for $229.

As far as mileage...i'm getting 19-20 on the highway so far just by guessing....I haven't filled it since I got it , so i can't gauge it accurately...I just set the cruise at 70 and go..I've put 250 miles on it and used 1/2 a tank so far...it's got 7700 miles on it so the engine isn't even broken in yet....if i can keep it at 20 with a v8 i'll be happy, cuz my 'Carlo gets @ 23 or so on the highway with a v6....but I love that car and I drive it a lot LESS conservatively!!..ahahhaha....

Barry I am with you dude. 2004 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 triton with the towing package. Pulling machine. drags the boat the camper everything without even knowing it's there. Ride is incredible and that Triton engine is awesome. If you haven't test drove one of the new F150'S with the triton you really should drive one around the block.

Before you buy anything go and drive a Nissan Titan. I have a 2004 Crew cab 4x4 and it has been great. It drives better than the Big Threes trucks and has the best engine/transmission combo of any truck. Look at Popular Mechanics this month and see the comparison of the five full size trucks. They still rate the Titan as #1, even against the new Chevy and Tundra.

them titans are ok, I'm just not a toyota/Nissan kinda guy if ya know whatta mean

'01 SuperCrew w/Triton V8 and towing package. Has 78+k on it. Only problems so far have been to replace a battery (got right over 5 yrs from original), had to replace psgr side front window due to breakage last month. Not a bad track record in my book ;) .

Jeeze you diesel guys better reconsider the life of yer trucks.....My 1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0, has 235,000 and still runs strong. The truck (3/4 ton Silverado HD, 6.0) with 45,000 is looking at a long life ahead of it. With vehicles, it's always "you take care of them and they'll take care of you".

TOXIC

Had a 1990 Suburban with 264,000 miles on it and still ran great when traded in. Now I have a 1998 Chevy Z-71 pick-up with 145,000 miles and runs great. I towed alot with both. My next truck may be the Tundra they sure look nice but I'll decide when the time comes.

Back