New Truck Time

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corey Carrico2

Reaction score
Well it is about time to retire the Ford Exploder and I have a decision to make that maybe you all can help me with. I am looking at the 2004 F-150 and the all new Nissan Titan....both in a supercab. I sat in both at the recent auto show in Detroit but have yet to drive either.

In my mind (scary place), it is a tie between the two other than price...the Nissan is about 10-12% less when comparing MSRP of similar rigs. Not that I intend to pay MSRP mind you so the "deal" I can find might make my mind up for me.

Anyone own either of these new trucks yet that can offer some feedback good or bad? I am normally a Ford fan but can not ignore the price of the Nissan...scares me a little bit that it is brand new though. As always appreciate any insight you can provide.

Oh yeah...I have a good Ford dealer...how are Nissan dealers in general?

--Corey

I really dont have an opinion on either truck, im not a Ford fan or a Nissan fan either. But if it were me i would wait a year if i could. Both trucks are completly new models. The Ford totally redesigned and the Nissan a totally new model. I would give either of them a year to work out the bugs out and then buy the one you want. I have been burned buying a first year vehicle and i wont ever do it again.

Corey, you saw me pull with my Exploder. I'm sure you read my post on getting a new truck also. I decided to go up a notch to the 3/4 ton (Crew Cab). I pull often enough and far enough to justify it. I'm even going diesel....that's a stretch for most but I want the mpg and I will drive the truck for the next 20 years!! Even if I were getting a gasser I would seriously look at the 3/4 tons. A LOT more truck for the $$

If I can help e-mail me. I have been researching this for over a year.

TOXIC

I have had 2 f150's I currently have a 2002 F150 and love it. The new ones are realy sweet. Everyone I have talked to loves them.. The new dodge is real nice too.

Jim, certainly good advice. Unfortunately I don't know how long I can hold but I would if I could for the reason you mention, not wanting to get burned.

Tox, I budgeted a little low for a 3/4 ton...while I would LOVE to get one its just not in the cards yet. BTW...Pete Sagartz says "Hi". I saw him at an outdoors show yesterday and he mentioned meeting you at Champlain last year before the Everstart.

--Corey

Cory, I am a Dodge Fan and can't offer any input on either of the two vehicles you are looking at other then the guys I know that own a Nissan truck love and swear by their Nissan.

One thing I can offer is a suggestion on how to get a good deal. If you are a credit union member or warehouse member (Costco, BJ's, Sams) you might be able to get the vehicle for a few hundred dollars over factory cost. I have not paid more then $300 over factory cost on a vehicle since 1994 and I have bought 5 new Dodge Rams this way. No haggling, no wasting hours of your time playing the haggle game. It makes buying the truck a much better experience by taking away the stress of worrying about the price and allows you to focus on getting what you want. Hope his helps and good luck on your shopping, it is fun. :)

Cass

Corey...

Must have missed you at the show... You know what I would say... the Ford! My 2001 has been rock solid and no trouble at all... I am trying to work out buying a 2004 as soon as possible...

Let me give you a little secret.....you can get a 3/4 ton for the same $$ as a 1/2 ton if you play your cards right. Especially if you are looking at Ford. With the new body style in the 1/2's it should be a breeze. Need a personal negotiator???LOL! I would SERIOUSLY look at an 03' demo or program truck or even a new used to get the 3/4 ton within budget. Import full size.....can't say as I haven't been tempted with the reliability of their autos and small trucks but for this big of a purchase I'm giving Chevy first crack, let's just hope I don't have a bad experience....one of the imports is supposed to be intorducing a 6 cyl. diesel, I can't remember who.....That would be perfect for the bass boat towing public....

TOXIC

At the last minute Ford bailed on their project to put a (I believe) Mitsubishi 6 cyl diesel in the 150 series... That would have been an awesome truck... Rumor was that they would have been competing against their own 250 6.0L so they couldn't see the advantage... Boy, for those of us who just can't live with the 250 size (I drive into and around Chicago half of my work week) and need a full size truck... that 150 diesel would have been a "no-brainer"...

I just ordered a new GMC 2500HD extended cab long bed. I also take a slide-in camper along, so the extra truck was needed.

Dewey, I thought about that before I decided on a short bed. What would you do in a cramped ramp situation with a camper on a long bed? Whew, you better have some massive mirrors!!LOL...My option, one of those tents that set up in the bed. If the weather gets nastier than a tent can take, I'll get in the cab!!

TOXIC

I am looking to keep a pretty low budget..25K or so ideally so let me know if I am wrong but a 3/4 tom will be more than that? We have an addition to the family coming so I can't get crazy on the options. Plus, this should ideally be a tow/weekend vehicle only so I don't need all the extra's.

I just did a little local search and I think it is do-able. What makes it viable is that you don't want a lot of options. With a new baby on the way I imagine you are looking at a crew cab? Let me know what you are looking for and the "must-haves" and I'll do a little checking. There ought to be some car guys on here that can say whether or not it can be done.

TOXIC

Back