New Nitro Z7 Owner

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Poff

Reaction score
Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Shelbyville, KY. Purchased an '08 Z7 package with a 150 OptiMax back in March. I will post a picture of the boat soon. Purchased all the normal options on the boat, except for the jack plate. I don't have much experience with a jack plate, but I do understand it's purpose.

The boat runs great, and I absolutely enjoy it :D and taking my 10 year old son fishing. The only thing that bothered me at first was the amount of bow rise, but once I learned to bring it out of the hole I was getting on plane within seconds, and knowing how to trim it well, it ran like a sports car.

Have any of you that have the "Z" series boat tried a stablizer fin on it, and if so, did it reduce the bow rise. I am thinking of purchasing the best one BPS has, $150, but wanted to see if it was worth it. I'm OK with the bow rise now, but the wife is still dealing with it and is somewhat scared.:eek:

I fish a 3,000 acre lake named "Taylorsville" and like to it bigger ones like Dale Hollow, Barkley, and Kentucky Lake.

Shelbydad

My 750 was a little odd compared to my previous outfit. I tuck the engine all the way down and trim up as it comes up. Maybe this is what you have figured out. Once I got the hang of it, my opinion of my boat changed fast. I love it now, but you do have to learn to drive it. I bet with that Opti you will do pretty good on the gas too.

My opinion, i would not put any hydrofoil on it. You dont need it at all. The bow coming up is normal for any bass boat. The best way to keep it from hanging up there is to give it full throttle when you take off. If you ease into it it will come up and hang there for a while.

Dan,

If you're talking about the Stingray XPRIIII, it's worth it. I am a big fan of "not" drilling holes in my lower unit. This hydro fin goes on without any drilling and takes about 2 minutes to install. All you do is remove the zinc from the lower end and slide on the fin. Then reinstall the zinc and you are done. This fin extends farther back than any other fin, which really helps to stabilize the ride. I had one on a 21 ft Tahoe Q7i SF and I was amazed at the difference it made. I will be purchasing another one for my new Nitro 901, 200 Optimax very soon. It will not only help with your

Not to be the buzz killer but we all know what Mr Goff (a very good set up guy) used to say.....a foil only masks a problem with a boat that is not set up properly.....Now keep in mind he was talking about bass boats not fish and skis. I can see where the use of a foil might be warrented for slow speed trolling or pulling a tube but for most bass boats once you get them set up properly they are not needed.

TOXIC

Welcome by the way!

Thanks everyone, nice to finally find a forum where you can actually get a response.

Dan, yes I was talking about the XPRIII. I did notice that once the boat starts to porpose it likes to continue until you make a correction.

From what I am reading, a jack plate is used mainly for fine tuning engine position for better top end speed, where as a fin can be used for additional stablility, i.e. reducing bow rise, reducing porpoising, etc. I have no problem with bow rise or a little porpoising, but I want the wife to enjoy it and not be so scared. Better to have her fishing with me then spending money at the mall:lol:

Berry, I have learned to do exactly what you said, full throttle out of the hole, trim back as soon as on plane, what a rush.

Anyway, it's only $150 for the fin, worth trying, will let you guys know how it runs afterwards, and will take some pictures.

BTW, I spent a little bit more to go to the OptiMax, and I am sure happy I did. That engine sips gas. I would be really worried about the fuel guage working if I hadn't seen it move a little.

I have one other question for you experienced bass boat drivers. When I slow down and the bow rises and the rear lowers, just before the water rushes in the back, I give the throttle a little punch which brings the rear end back up and prevents alot of water from coming in, is that the proper technigue?

Thanks....

Shelbydad

Yep, that's the way most of us do it or when you come off plane right before your boat "settles" turn to the right or left and the backwash will miss you. As for your bow sitting high at holeshot, with a little seat time you will be able to make it one fluid motion and the bow will stay much more level. Its a matter of working the trim from the full tucked position to its running position at just the right incriments and timing. .

TOXIC

As you slow, you can also trim down a little. That brings the front down, and you have less of a need to "goose" it to avoid the backwash. You can play around with this a little. It's second nature now.

Welcome! You are getting great advice. You'll learn the little 'push forward' right before you settle.

Do you have a hot foot? If not, that should be on your list. How about a steering wheel tilt/trim?

Enjoy. You just need plenty of seat time, to work out the kinks.

Tex

Thanks Guys,

At least I know I'm on the right path.

Shelbydad

Hi Shelby and welcome to the NTOWS. I have an '06 591 with is the same as your Z-7 only different and I also have the 150 Optimax. Great motor. It sounds like your boat is running normal. As far as I know all bass boats stick their nose in the air somewhat on blast off. Just trim down all the way and drop the hammer then adjust after it breaks over. When you stop use your trim like a break as you slow down and try not to stop too suddenly.

Like Tex suggested a Hot Foot and a Protrim will help you a lot. I can't imagine driving a boat without either.

I have to confess that I'm envious of you taking your 10 year with you fishing. My boy and I started fishing and camping when he was around 10 or 11 when I got my first boat... a Tracker PT-185. He's 19 now and only goes with me every now and then but those were some good times. Enjoy him while you can, they grow up so fast it hard to notice before it all gone.

Good Luck.

Tom,

Mine does pretty well out of the hole with the 175xs. Its a little quicker then my old 882/150 xr6 overall. alone i cant even get the throttle planted and its on plane, with two guys it maybe takes 4 seconds to break over. I run a 24 pitch prop on mine and may go to a 25. I think if i could raise my motor up higher and keep water pressure it would be even quicker out of the hole. I plan to get my prop blueprinter over the winter too and i know that will also help. I dont have any issue with the way mine is now but better never hurts in my opinion.

If your boat is hard getting up on plane you might want to try a different PVS or prop plug on your props. Different hole sizes for the prop would be good to have. I've tinkered with mine and found the right setup for my prop. It gets up on plane with no problem and I don't have the hydrofoil on my boat either (now). :cool:

Hey Tracy:

A "Hot foot" refers to the brand name for an optional foot operated throttle control for boats. Looks a bit like a car's accelerator and is used instead of the hand throttle. Basically, you use the hand throttle to shift into Forward or Reverse (like a car transmission) and use the hot foot for increasing or decreasing throttle.

A "pro trim" is a lever installed on the side of the wheel of a boat (much like a turn signal on a car). Instead of signal lights, however, the pro trim lever moves the motor up and down for trim and tilt. Like the hot foot, its generally an option installed on the boat after factory production.

ok thanks, are you saying this is better than the traditional hand throttle and trim/tilt on the hand throttle or do you use this if you dont have these options? I have never seen them!

All boats with remote controls (i.e., non-tiller) come with the hand throttle and tilt/trim switch on the handle (if engine is so equipped). Never heard of a set up with just a hot foot and protrim (may not be up to NMMA standards). As for the advantages, the biggest is that you don't have to take your hands off the steering wheel to operate the throttle and trim/tilt switch. Those that have them, swear by them.

Latest posts

Back