New Guy

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Taylor

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to this site. I like all the post that I have read. They have been alot of help. I do have a couple of questions that someone could answer. I am in the market for my first boat. I am leaning towards the PT 185 tracker. I asked the Destin BPS sales dept if I could take the PT 185 into the Choctaw Bay to fish since I live right on the bay. I didnt know how the saltwater will effect the boat and motor or what extra care would be involved. The guy said I could but I am checking what he said with people on this site. I do not want a bay boat because most of my fishing will be in freshwater for largemouth or smallies. I know weather could be one issue I am just not sure of any others. Just to let everyone know my budget is 10-20k. I prefer to stay as low as possible on the money side but be able to go into just about any lake without having to take forever to get anywhere. I know my first boat will be a Nitro or Tracker just not sure which boat I should get. Any suggestions?

jt

Consider a Tracker Tournament V-18...

Best tin there is!!!

'course, I'm a bit biased...

az
boat1.JPG

Welcome.. This is a great board with allot a great people.. 10k to 20k budget gives u allot to choose from.. Glass or aluminum. I personly prefer glass, and if your budget is as high as 20K you can get into a NX882 with a 150 XR6 with money to spare after tax, frieght and rigging.

If you run in salt, you just have to make sure that you flush your motor after use. You might want to look at the saltwater versions of both your big motor and your trolling motor if you plan to fish salt or brackish for any length of time. Make sure you get the galvanized trailer if you launch or load in salt. Salt water is a trailer killer. Remember, you can always run salt water equipment in fresh but you can't always run fresh water equipment in salt.

TOXIC

Id also look at the new NITRO with the removable carpet, I'm drawing a blank on the model.

I know some one with a 911 CDC for sale. The price may be a little on the higher side($22,000-$23000) but we could talk.

T.S.

Heres a pic of the boat for sale

If you want more details on the boat email me at [email protected].

1999NI~1.JPG

You can get a nice, barely used glass rig. For that much you can get a 2-3 year old 19+ foot rig with a 200HP on it. Something to consider. And often you can still get an extended warranty.

Dang Andy, I really like that boat,,,,,hmmm,,,,looks sorta familiar. LOL

Bruce

One other boat to consider would be the Tracker Pro Crappie 175. I've seen a few Florida dealers rig it with a polling platform for flats fishing. The interior realy works well if you are in a moving bay with more below gunwale space. It's not the ideal Tourament bass rig since it doesn't have the large front/rear decks, but with dual baitwells it does great with Shrimp if you live bait fish in the bay.

Heck max the HP out with a 75 Merc 2 stroke and you'll be pushing 42-44mph, sipping gas, and out the door Around $15k. that assumes the boat combo at $12,250, figure in freight, rigging, a few extras like upgraded electronics, trailer spare tire/mount, on-board charger...

Either way i'd ensure like the guys above said - get a galvanized trailer on which ever boat you get.
ProCrappie175Overhead04_OH_04_l.jpg

First of all, welcome to the board!

As Tre.. er... um... Nyquil Boy said, the Pro Crappie is a nice layout, nice featured, nice priced boat, I looked a long time at those before settling on the Pro deep V 16, which Tracker no longer offers, I think it may have been re-named or replaced by the Targa 16. With your budget, you will have ALOT of different boats, motors, etc, to choose from. Only advice I can offer, is take your time, do your homework, go galvanized on the trailer, and enjoy! Good luck with your boat search, and welcome. egMike

Welcome JT,

Get a galvanized trailer definitely! Not much more $, but much more durable. I have a prodeep 17'. Not available anymore, but if you go tin, and go in large water, get a deep V. I like mine.

david.......

Good point egMike,forgot to change my handle back!

JT - David and egMIke make very good points, if in addition to the bay you plan to spend most of your time on rough/choppy water and want more of a multispecies vs. a bass boat any of the Deep V boats are great. If you want to spend just a LITTLE more, look at the AMAZING Tundra aluminium boat. The Tundra single console with a 115 Merc starts at $20,595.00 plus tax, frieght and rigging.

Trep

WOW!! Maybe i should expand on what i am looking for. i did not realize how helpful everyone would be. when i said 10-20k i just ment i could fit that easily into my budget. i think i want to stay on the lower side due to it being my first boat. what do u all think?

I will be fishing choctaw river, escambia river, lake seminole, and lake taulquin in NW florida the most. i just wanted to be able to take my first bass boat in the bay when i cant make it out to the other places since the bay is .5 mile down the road. i have thought about a used boat but i figured i would go for new since it will be my first boat but the points some have made has caused me to reconsider. i liked the NX 882 SC and that has jumped up on my list. i know i want a bass boat but i sure do thank the people that brought up all the suggestions about the boats that could work in the bay. I know i will get a galvinized trailer now and some type of V-hull. I take it from the post that the Mod V on the pt185 would not work well in large bodies of water. well once again I want to thank everyone for their post. all have been helpful.

jt

p.s. if i can make it back from overseas by mid april i do plan on going to the rally @ kentucky lake. hope to see u all there.

Welcome, JT!

Although I live in St. Louis, I used to traier my boat all the way to Florida when I visited my father in Naples so I could fish the backwaters between the Everglades and the Gulf.

Firts, consider a used boat. There are a LOT of good buys out there right now. You can get a lot more boat for your money.

Second, if you're going to operate in salt water, glass will not corrode. (But metal parts still will if not properly cared for.)

me!

Caution, subtle, almost un noticeable subliminal messages in this post........

If that's (TIN)what you'll be mainly using (TIN)it for, and you mentioned right (TIN)in your last post "my first bass boat", then you may have already narrowed it down (TIN)some, then I'd recommend the TV18, (TIN)like Andy's, or PT 175,(TIN) PT 185,(TIN) etc.

I'll leave the glass (TIN)recommendations to those with the glass (TIN)rigs. Here you have another unbiased opinion to look at....... Happy (TIN)boat shopping!egMike

If you want to stay on the lower side of your budget,and want a boat suitable for some use in salt/brackish water, I'd be looking at the Nitro 700 or 750. If you're ready to buy now (by the end of this month), you can get a 700 w/90elpto for about 15k out the door. ($12,795.00 + tax, freight, prep). It's 17' long, 84" beam, and glass is easier to maintain in saltwater situations. And for a couple hundred $$$ more, get a galvanized trailer. my .02

Craig

That is a nice toilet on the Pro Crappie infront of the console......but DON'T be like NyQuil Boy and leave the seat up....Momma get's surly when she get's crappie on her tushy!!

Ohhhh Mac, that's gonna COST you!!!! LOL

I do HATE The new front livewell on the Pro Crappie's, mine is twice as large and can REALY hold 4-5 bass, not like the "toilet" above!!! LOL

Jt...

WElcome... The sick ones here will always try to get their bias into their posts... We know it, we let it slide, so just get a tin boat and help us tolerate the poor demented glass babies...LOL

Or you can get a NX750 with a 90 for 13,595 with aluminum prop.

or with 115 and SS prop for 14,695. I priced Mercury Laser II SS prop and its about 300.00, so upgrade price is only about 700.00 to go with the 115. Also Mercury is throwing in 200.00 cash back that you get directly from Mercury and 2 extra years warranty for a total of 3 years non declining. Its a great time to buy a Nitro.. I sound like a dealer... someone smack me.. Just a proud NX750 owner, just got mine about 4 weeks ago..

And btw, get the galvinized trailer I think it about 200.00 more, its well worth the money, especialy if your going to be in brackish or salt water...

Good luck with your decision.. this is the best part..

Welcome! Had tin for one summer and traded it for glass last summer. Save yourself some money and just start with the glass.

Back