New boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Mitchell

Reaction score
Hi all

Just bought a new Nitro 189 sport with 200 opti. Had my old boat for 17 years and thought i should take the plunge as the kids are into all the water sports now. I was just wondering what I could expect for performance with the stock set up?

Welcome WW!!! If you've been lurking you know this is a great site and a bunch of lunatics running the asylum!!! LOL

As that boat is brand new I doubt anyone has any history yet on speed. I checked the Nitroboats.com site, and they only list speeds for the 150 EFI at WOT of 55-56. So, i'll put on my extrapolation hat and use the speed differential on the 288 sport.

So, the 288 sport with a 150 EFI will do 54-56, and a 200 EFI at 61-63 (they don't list a top speed with the Opti's). So that's a difference of 7 mph. So my mathmatical guess would be your top end would be 62-63mph.

But... Tell us more about the boat!! Color, Options, what did you have before, when do you get it???

:blink::wacko::rolleyes:

Ain't no crazies here!

Gotta keep the lunatics ON the path!;)

I'm betting his top end will be a little better than even 63. Given that the 288 is a foot longer and 200 lbs heavier, I'd bet the top speed of the 189 with 200 Opti will be over 65. Would love to see photos and take a ride. They don't even list the 200 as on option on the website. You went all out. I have the 188 and love it. Can't see you not enjoying your new purchase.

NoCAL

Thanks for the warm welcome. We went with the 05sp-01, which is the navy flake with a gold PIN. I am supposed to pick it up on the 10th of May so I am pretty exited. The old boat was a 17'Bayliner with a 98 130yamer. The boat was a 1989 which I bought new so I got lots of use out of it. This is definately a big step up. We do a lot of fishing and boating in general so I think this is a great duo purpose pick. I didnt go with many options as it seems to be well rigged. I have a couple of eagle fish finders so I'll mount one on the bow. The one thing I maybe should have done was to upgrade the troll motor to a 24 volt, but well see. My old one only had a 36 lb minkota and it was good for 3-4 hours steady running. My wife wanted a canopy but I put her off for a year. It looked like a good set up for early season salmon fishing but definately not set up for spead. LOL. Way too high of a mount.

WW

Back